AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of working with a local AV shop to install a new 5.1 setup in my media room. Due to layout constraints in the space, I don't have an option for more than 5.1 and will not expand it further in the future. I am also limited to options on my front LCR speaker selections both because of space and the WAF.

That being said, my installer is recommending the following speaker configuration:
GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array X (LCR)
GoldenEar Invisa 650 (Surround L&R) In-Ceiling
GoldenEar ForceField 4 Subwoofer

I auditioned this setup in their store and really loved the sound. It was a much richer experience than I was expecting for such a minimally sized setup. Now the challenge comes down to which receiver to choose from. We had originally agreed upon the Anthem MRX 310, but after some research, I discovered it did not have HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2 support. Given that I currently have a Samsung 65HU9000 TV, I was hoping to avoid upgrading my receiver for at least 3-5 years. After some research, my Installer recommended I take a look at the Sony STR-ZA3000ES as a possible alternative. His only point of contention was that the Sony doesn't have anywhere near as good of a room correction system as the Anthem.

So given the options, what guidance would you provide someone in my situation? Will the Sony hold a candle to the Anthem's sound, especially given the Anthem ARC room setup? How reliable is the Sony compared to the Anthem? Right now the Sony is about $300 more than the Anthem (Based on looking at pricing, I'm getting a solid deal on either).

I appreciate your thoughts!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I would get the Anthem. To connect a 4k Source like UHD Blu-ray I would get a Blu-Player with 2 HDMI outputs and feed one to the receiver and one to the TV. I am sure the new Blu-ray players will also have 4K streaming services. For cable/sat if they ever use 4K you can use the optical or digital coax connection as most of their programming is Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am currently in the process of working with a local AV shop to install a new 5.1 setup in my media room. Due to layout constraints in the space, I don't have an option for more than 5.1 and will not expand it further in the future. I am also limited to options on my front LCR speaker selections both because of space and the WAF.

That being said, my installer is recommending the following speaker configuration:

I auditioned this setup in their store and really loved the sound. It was a much richer experience than I was expecting for such a minimally sized setup. Now the challenge comes down to which receiver to choose from. We had originally agreed upon the Anthem MRX 310, but after some research, I discovered it did not have HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2 support. Given that I currently have a Samsung 65HU9000 TV, I was hoping to avoid upgrading my receiver for at least 3-5 years. After some research, my Installer recommended I take a look at the Sony STR-ZA3000ES as a possible alternative. His only point of contention was that the Sony doesn't have anywhere near as good of a room correction system as the Anthem.

So given the options, what guidance would you provide someone in my situation? Will the Sony hold a candle to the Anthem's sound, especially given the Anthem ARC room setup? How reliable is the Sony compared to the Anthem? Right now the Sony is about $300 more than the Anthem (Based on looking at pricing, I'm getting a solid deal on either).

Neither one is HDCP 2.2

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Neither one is HDCP 2.2
From Sony's website:
"Enjoy flexible HD connectivity with 8 assignable inputs (6 HDMI:registered:, 2 component). HDCP 2.2 compliant (2 inputs, 2 outputs) this ES receiver supports simple connectivity and full-playback of ?4K Premium Content? with maximum visual and multi-channel sound quality.1 In addition the ZA3000ES allows full, native 4K video content pass-through to 4K capable televisions and projectors, and even up-scales high definition movies and TV shows to 4K quality."

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah I am not sure where that comment came from. The HU9000 has HDCP 2.2 on the MHL port. Seems like the Sony receiver does as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts