AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved and somehow my Onkyo receiver died. Not sure how, but it will no longer power on. I had been considering an upgrade for awhile and now since i just moved into a bigger place and will have larger sound requirements I am considering moving up to component amps. I am checking out a Carver Premiere Av-705x that came up for sale in my area but the one thing I am not sure about is what I use to drive sound to these amps? Will a pre-amp do this for me? Will a basic receiver with the 7 channel rca output out the back do?

The place I am moving into I am going to be able to have a nice rectangle shaped room as my home theater room, but then I will also have a large 900 sq foot room wth 20 ft ceilings that I would like to fill with music for periodic dance parties with friends. I would like to be able to run both my home theater system as well as my bumping music speakers off of the same amps and inputs if possible. Can somebody please point out what I need to drive a signal to these amps?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A receiver with pre outs or a processor will both work.

There are a number of options for connecting up speakers such as for party music.

One obvious option would be impedance matching speaker boxes, and connect them up to some of the amp channels, and drive the music speakers that way. You would want ones with switches to turn off the speakers when not in use.

Note that receivers may be more limited in pre out voltage than a processor. If the Carver had a high input sensitivity, that could result in an inability to play the amp at full power.

You could use zone outputs from the receiver/processor, but you would have the problem that all of your amp channels were in use. Unless you bought a receiver, and through some arrangement of using receiver internal amps, such as surrounds, free up the external amps channels for a zone. You might still want impedance matching boxes depending on load.

The bottom line, of course, is not to exceed an amp's limit on being able to drive low impedance. 4 ohms probably for the Carver. For a receiver, 8 ohms is a better load, as a general rule.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts