AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a receiver that offers a front end and interface to manage and play music files stored on a USB (or Firewire, Cat5) external hard drive.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks I'll check these out. I was looking at the Denon 4306, it *looks* like it might do it...but the manual is not real clear.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squeezebox looks really intriguing....they offer package with NAS (1TB) which looks like exactly what I need but more than I want to spend for now...maybe.

I like that the device has huge readout, I was wondering how it would look on a receiver, this would solve that problem. I suppose it will work with any NAS...

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Denon 4306 definitely supports this, I've had my 4306 connected via USB to an external 200GB drive. Only problem is that the 4306 (and perhaps the other receivers discused here) has a relatively crude interface to find your music.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's crude about the 4306 interface? Would the squeezebox have an advantage in that regard?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've never used a squeezebox, but I believe their UI is more flexibile. The 4306 (and most other receivers) basically let you sort music by ALL, ARTIST, ALBUM, etc., then present you with an alphabetically sorted list to select from. I think you can also set up playlists, haven't played with that feature yet. The 4306 also lets you connect to your PC and play your music over a network connection, as well as Internet Radio access. Not a bad feature package at all, just not a great user interface to go with the features.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.