AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Could you please do me a favor and help me understand what I should be doing?

I just bought a XVT473SV today. I have a blu-ray and comcast box connected to the TV using HDMI cables, and then I connected the SPDIF from the TV back to my old-trusty Yamaha HTR-5550 . On the TV, I chose PCM and disabled TV Speakers.

However, it now seems that my Yamaha doesn't "detect" any of the Dolby signals when I'm playing discs or watching comcast hd. It feels like it's just receiving plain audio. I also tried Dolby Digital on the TV but that didn't help.

Do I need a new receiver? I didn't budget for one and spent it all on the TV and the Blu-ray player.

What's the correct way to do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, maybe the correct question is: What is the Vizio outputting viz the SPDIF?

Is it outputting Stereo or 5.1? Does it even matter whether I choose PCM/Dolby on the TV for audio out?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
HD tvs output only stereo thru their outputs unless you are using an antenna. To get the dolby digital you want just run your optical or other surround cables straight from your HD cable box into your receiver. Turn off the tv speakers. You will get surround.

Do the same thing with your blu ray. Run the HDMI into the tv for video. Run optical straight into the receiver for sound.

You'll have to change the inputs on your receiver for each item, but it will be true surround.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.