AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sure the "PS3 1080i Scaling" issue has been discussed to here but I am looking for a different solution.


I have a 7 year old receiver so I am in the market for a new one. I have a 2003 Sony CRT HDTV (1080i only) Are there ANY receivers out there that will take a 720p PS3 game and scale it to my 1080i? I don't care if it is HDMI or Component. Whatever.


Instead of spending $350 on a scaler, I'd rather put that money into a new receiver.


Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about an upscaling receiver. I, too, am a 1080 only RPTV PS3 user. All new titles are coming with 1080 support. It is only a few launch and 2nd gen titles that are 720p only. Was I mad that I could only play RFoM in 480? Yes. Did I still play it for months and get more than my money's worth. Yes. Am I happy that Insomniac (and others) has incorporated 1080 in their 2nd release? You better believe it! If the 720 -only thing had continued, I would be looking for an upscaling receiver. Now, I am not concerned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ummm... Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Burnout, Devil May Cry 4, Motostorm, Resistance FoM and many others are 720p only. I don't think it has anything to do with new or old, it seems like a mix.


I can dig up the complete list but there are MANY more 720p only games vs 1080i games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Doesn't the PS3 itself scale to some extent to what your TV can handle? Obviously it isn't going to take a native 720p game and magically add more lines to it, but I thought that it scaled the 720p (or 480) to 1080i if that's what your TV was rated at.


I've got a 1080p TV though, so I didn't pay much attention to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill /forum/post/12978733


Ok, I am sure the "PS3 1080i Scaling" issue has been discussed to here but I am looking for a different solution.


I have a 7 year old receiver so I am in the market for a new one. I have a 2003 Sony CRT HDTV (1080i only) Are there ANY receivers out there that will take a 720p PS3 game and scale it to my 1080i? I don't care if it is HDMI or Component. Whatever.


Instead of spending $350 on a scaler, I'd rather put that money into a new receiver.


Thanks in advance.

I tried looking into that as well before I got my PS3. I have a Mits from 2003 that is 1080i only too. I found some receivers that will do the task but were too expensive for my buget >$1000. So I decided to save the money (or rather spend it on something else) and just play the bundled Motorstorm in glorious 480p. I still enjoy Motorstorm gameplay. The games I bought I made sure they have 1080i support unless I really want that game then I still get it and play at 480p.



I recall these Onkyo's do upscaling.


TX-SR805 ~ 1k

TX-SR875 ~ 1.5k

TX-NR905 ~2k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perpetual - The Xbox360 will scale any game to 1080i. The PS3 does not do this.


Cucuy - That sucks they are so expensive. A standalone scale is about $349... I was just wondering if there are any other receivers out there that will do this. There are a bunch of $500 ones that say they upscale but I think they only upscale 480p DVDs... can anyone confirm this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
There are a number of receivers that will upscale over HDMI and very few that will do it over component.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
its not an issue w/ the ps3, but your tv correct? I have a pioneer plasma 1080i, if the game says 720p, i'll get 720p correct? if the came says 1080p, ill get 1080 i right?


and all my bd movies will be in 1080i, i hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill /forum/post/12980228


Perpetual - The Xbox360 will scale any game to 1080i. The PS3 does not do this.


Cucuy - That sucks they are so expensive. A standalone scale is about $349... I was just wondering if there are any other receivers out there that will do this. There are a bunch of $500 ones that say they upscale but I think they only upscale 480p DVDs... can anyone confirm this?

There is a difference and you pay for what you get. The AVR's that say they "upscale" typically mean they take and analog signal in and put it on a HDMI output. The ones you call too expensive have video processor chips in them that actually do upconverting. X signal in and change it to Y out. As opposed to scaling. Where you get 480 analog in to 480 digital out. AT any rate video processing AVR are not cheap. In addition to all the audio processing they do, you want video processing thrown in too, It cost...Nevermind the DAC for sound and amplification sections for 7/8 audio channels. AVR;s do a lot of work, and adding video processing to that list aint cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte /forum/post/12987912


its not an issue w/ the ps3, but your tv correct? I have a pioneer plasma 1080i, if the game says 720p, i'll get 720p correct? if the came says 1080p, ill get 1080 i right?


and all my bd movies will be in 1080i, i hope.


Your tv will only show it's native resolution...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,753 Posts
I have the Sony STR-DA5200ES and it will upscale any resolution it receives over component into 1080i/p, I payed around $1800 for it, but you can probably find it for around $800 now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte /forum/post/12987912


I have a pioneer plasma 1080i

There is no such thing as a 1080i Plasma. Most Plasma HDTVs are approximations of 720p (some times a little less). Many of the latest Plasmas are 1080p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy /forum/post/12979937


....


I recall these Onkyo's do upscaling.


TX-SR805 ~ 1k

TX-SR875 ~ 1.5k

TX-NR905 ~2k

I'm 90% sure you would need at least an 875, the 805 only upscales analog > digital at 720p. The Onkyo 875 and 905 have the "Reon-HQV™ HD video scaling up to 1080p".


That Sherwood Newcastle Amp Colossus linked to does look awesome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
so no plasma tv's have Supported Resolution of 1080i? it is either 720p or 1080p?


the display ratio on my pioneer is 1024 x 768


thanks
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top