AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a receiver for my newly purchased 5.1 speaker setup.

I don't need to run any video through the AVR. All video will go directly to my TV, so it will be for audio purposes only.

I have:

- a Micro$oft Xbox360 (1 optical),

- a Sony PS3 (1 optical),

- a Nintendo Wii (1 component),

- a cable box from TimeWarner (I'm unsure of how it will connect for audio - 1 optical?)

- I'd like for my pc (located in room next door) to be perm. connected (will run wiring under floor to basement and up) with the receiver. I'm unsure of what kind of wiring (RCA cable?) is needed at the moment for Audio.

- also have an option to connect my laptop at certain times (again, I'm unsure of what kind of wiring I'd need for this) for Audio.

*I could use the same input for the laptop as I'd be using for the PC and just unplug the PC when wanting the laptop connected. It's not an issue for them to have separate inputs on the receiver.

My 5.1 speaker setup:

*please don't make fun of the brand, I know it gets a lot of hate on various forums, but I enjoyed the sound these all produce.

- JBL Studio L890 x2 for fronts

- JBL Studio L820 x2 for rear surround

- JBL Studio LC2 x1 for center

- JBL Studio L8400p x1 for subwoofer

The setup will be used 50% for music, 30% for gaming, and 20% for movies and television.

I'm highly favoring Harman Kardon and interested in knowing which models would be good to power my new setup.

I'm also considering Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and other suggested brands.

The only brand that I'm NOT considering is any Onkyo receiver due to the "issues" I've read they have with "speaker popping," "audio delay," and the amount of heat they produce.

ANY input is much appreciated as I'm new to having a home theater setup that's not a home theater in a box!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Try out the 254. That oughta be good for what you're running. Any particular reason why you aren't planning on running HDMI through your receiver? Makes your life a hell of a lot easier. Especially since you have a PS3, and the Time Warner box should have HDMI as well (I'm sure you can request one, at least thats how my cable company works). Also, if you're running an Xbox 360 that does not have HDMI, you can still pass the component signal over to HDMI, running just one cable to your TV.

Just a thought. If you feel like you need more power, or better capability for Zone 2 support...or if you just want The Bridge II...you can always upgrade to the 354.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 /forum/post/14348047

Try out the 254. That oughta be good for what you're running. Any particular reason why you aren't planning on running HDMI through your receiver? Makes your life a hell of a lot easier. Especially since you have a PS3, and the Time Warner box should have HDMI as well (I'm sure you can request one, at least thats how my cable company works). Also, if you're running an Xbox 360 that does not have HDMI, you can still pass the component signal over to HDMI, running just one cable to your TV.

Just a thought. If you feel like you need more power, or better capability for Zone 2 support...or if you just want The Bridge II...you can always upgrade to the 354.

I suppose I could run video through the receiver, but it's just not a big deal to me if it goes through one or directly to the TV. I suppose it would be easier to hide one cable over multiple cables, but my center speaker is big enough to cover them all up lol
Also, I heard that some people have problems sending their video through their receivers getting poor picture quality, "red dots", etc.

I must also add that I'm keeping en eye out for a B&K 307.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts