AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out all this audio information and can't wrap my mind around everything

550 watt 5.1 receiver = 110 watts per channel fl,fr,fc,rr,rl

Now what watt sub? Can it literally be to my hearts desire as the sub is powered itself?

I think i am answering my own ?'s as i type but want to doublecheck

any help is welcome

thanks

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
I highly doubt a 5.1 receiver puts out 110 watts per channel because most 5.1 receivers are entry level. The real power will be much less than that.

A powered sub has its own built in amp, hence the name "powered" sub. It doesn't take any power from the receiver.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson2k1 /forum/post/20824447

I'm trying to figure out all this audio information and can't wrap my mind around everything

550 watt 5.1 receiver = 110 watts per channel fl,fr,fc,rr,rl

Now what watt sub? Can it literally be to my hearts desire as the sub is powered itself?

I think i am answering my own ?'s as i type but want to doublecheck

any help is welcome

thanks

Yes, pick any sub you want, but it should ideally match your room size. You can call any of the recommended ID sub brands (HSU, Epik, Rythmik, SVS, etc.) and they'll recommend a particular sub for your room size and budget.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
afrogt is correct. You can't multiply the per channel power by five, because the manufacturer does not have to drive (power) all 5 channels when testing power output.

Note that entry level receivers seem quite a bit compromised in power compared to mid range receivers. How much of a real world different than makes, I can't say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.