AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke into the high end Home Theater scene this weekend ( well for my pocket book anyway ). I just got a good deal on a used Axiom Epic 80 system + cables and am now looking for a good receiver to match. This is going to be used 95% for movies and games and 5% for music. I've heard great things about the Yamaha RX-V2400 for HT and this is the receiver I'm leaning towards at the moment. I'm curious if anyone out there has this receiver or another paired with the Axiom Epic 80 system and is EXTREMELY happy with the Home Theater performance. Need to get this ordered and shipped before the SUPERBOWL!!!!

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I am also anxious to see your feedback...I'm also considering the Epic 80 or 60 system. In addition, I'm on the hunt for a great receiver for this set up. I've been considering the Yamaha rx-v2400 and Pioneer Elite 53TX as I've read good reviews on their built in speaker calibration ability to automatically adjust to the listening position. I'm hoping either of these receivers would be a good match for the Epic 80's 4-ohm main speakers?

Randy

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after a lot of reading both the axiom forum and this forum I decided to demo the HK 630, Denon 3803, Onkyo 801 and the Yamaha RX-V2400. I found the yamaha to be much clearer and accurate. In my opinion you could just year things that weren't there when listening to the other receivers. So I decided to go with the Yamaha. After buying it the helpful guy at The Good Guys said "This is the one I would've went with", so I think it was a good decision. So far it sounds great. The guy I bought my speakers from had a HK 525 hooked up to them and the Yamaha definitely sounds better already and I haven’t done any tweaking yet. I’ll have more time tonight to play with it, I’m going to throw Once Upon A Time in Mexico in first then play some Halo. I’ll let you know more when I get it tweaked.

Sean

BTW I bought mine from The good guys only because I need it for the Super Bowl. It can be found at least $100 cheaper online after shipping.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I ran through the auto calibration last night and wow. I first threw on Project Gotham Racing 2 for Xbox and cranked it up. It sounded amazing these speakers are worth every penny. Then I threw in my personal favorite CD. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of The Moon and it never sounded better. When the clocks went off in Track 3 ( Time ) if you had your eyes closed you'd swear there were a dozen clocks surrounding you. It was just that good. Sirquack if you go with the Epic 60 system get the VP150, it's a great center you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
More than likely I'll end up with the Epic 80 system, the half of my basement that is my "rec/family room" is a little over 1,000 Sq. Ft.. The home theatre area will be in one of the corners taking up about 300 Sq Ft. However, when I want to listen to just the loudspeakers for stereo or cd's I'm thinking the 80's will work better for the overall room size and hoping the Elite 53TX or the Yammy 1400/2400 would be a good choice for these 4 ohm speakers....

By the way, I like your taste in music..

·
Registered
333 Posts
After I got my Axiom system, I bought an HK 630 to be used as a pre/pro but when troubleshooting a problem I hooked the speakers up to the AVR's internal amps. I didn't like the sound at all, reminded me a little of scratching your nails on a chalkboard, way to bright. Conversely, my Adcom amps are very "warm" and IMO pairing a Axioms with a warmish amp makes these speakers shine. You keep the detail of the Axioms but it subdues the harshness a little. Considering this, I would also check out the new Marantz receivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.