AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to install a home theater for my parents. I will buy all the equipment and install it, but then I am going to be 3000 miles away and need them to be able to control it while I am not there.

Can anyone recommend a good quality easy to use receiver with video up-converting?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I highly recommend a Pronto or other fully programmable touchscreen remote when setting up an "easy to use" system for someone. It all really comes down to the remote for ease-of-use, and I've yet to find a receiver remote that scores very high there.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yamaha came out with that Neo system with a simpler user interface. I suggest reading reviews on it, because there was some criticism of it.

·
The Village Idiot
9,768 Posts
Just about anything but a Denon?

More information is needed - budget first of all. 5.1? 7.1?

Is this a dedicated HT or multi-use? Room size? What will you be using for speakers?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
im not sure any one brand is going to be better or worse than another if you want all the features--i was thinking something like a cambridge or adcom that is simpler because of deficient features but you wont have all the features you want (I would guess). I helped my cousin set up his onkyo 906 and that was pretty straightforward. another idea would be to get them something from a brand that you own so that when they have questions you can troubleshoot with them in real time (assuming similar setup menus). Fortunately my parents are only an hour away so when theirs goes down its only a short trip.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacksmasher /forum/post/18133483

I have to install a home theater for my parents. I will buy all the equipment and install it, but then I am going to be 3000 miles away and need them to be able to control it while I am not there.

Can anyone recommend a good quality easy to use receiver with video up-converting?

So you are calling your parents dumb? Great. Just make sure they don't know your handle and read this thread.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As others have mentioned, this really won't have much to do with what AVR you decide on. Keep the overall setup simple and invest in a good remote (I'm partial to Harmony remotes).

When I say "keep it simple" I'm referring to your choice in gear. Ideally, you'd have their cable/sat. TV box and a Blu Ray player, both HDMI to the AVR, then the single HDMI to the TV. Then, you lock out all inputs on the TV except for the 1 HDMI, disable the TV's speakers, and you're set. With a Harmony, you can set the watch TV activity to put the AVR in midnight mode for better low-volume listening. I'd think long and hard before adding any other sources to the mix, such as a VCR. I've heard several people insist on needing a VCR, but then they never actually use it. Leave the VCR on a different TV.

With a Harmony and only two source devices, your job gets a LOT easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.