AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can't find receiver that can drive Dynaudio Focus (220mkII, 200C, 110)

The acoustics has 4 ohms impedance and 87 db sencivity and requires 250 watts of power

Tried Onkyo 5507, but it definitely has not enough power. With this receiver i've got an extremely muffled bass

Besides, onkyo colours highs and lows - i like more neutral sound

Any more options?

I would be happy if it was under USD 5'000

·
Registered
14,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoli2003 /forum/post/18296000

Hi,

Can't find receiver that can drive Dynaudio Focus (220mkII, 200C, 110)

The acoustics has 4 ohms impedance and 87 db sencivity and requires 250 watts of power

Tried Onkyo 5507, but it definitely has not enough power. With this receiver i've got an extremely muffled bass

Besides, onkyo colours highs and lows - i like more neutral sound

Any more options?

I would be happy if it was under USD 5'000

Very nice speakers by the way
. I had 140s and the 200C awhile back and enjoyed them very much. You could look at the Arcam AVR600. I have not read much about the AVR600 but from what I did read it was very positive. Below is a link to a review of the AVR600.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receiv...er/index1.html

In the review it mentions driving 4 ohm speakers.

The result is that the unit will drive 4 ohms continuously and is in practice stable down to loads of 2 ohms or thereabouts, even those with quite big phase shifts.

You could also consider going with a prepro and seperate amp. When I had the 140s/200C I always used an external amp whether it was an AVR or prepro (naturally with a prepro
).

Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/18296281

Very nice speakers by the way
. I had 140s and the 200C awhile back and enjoyed them very much. You could look at the Arcam AVR600. I have not read much about the AVR600 but from what I did read it was very positive. Below is a link to a review of the AVR600.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receiv...er/index1.html

In the review it mentions driving 4 ohm speakers.

The result is that the unit will drive 4 ohms continuously and is in practice stable down to loads of 2 ohms or thereabouts, even those with quite big phase shifts.

You could also consider going with a prepro and seperate amp. When I had the 140s/200C I always used an external amp whether it was an AVR or prepro (naturally with a prepro
).

Bill

Very interesting...

I'm sure this receiver is the number 1 for today, but...

1. This arcam is rated 120 watts per channel and 60 damping factor. Dynaudio loves high power and high damping factor

2. in my area it is almost USD 7k - quite pricey

The main issue is #1 - does it have enough power? I want my receiver play as good as stereo amps can

Do exist any more receiver that can drive 4 and even 2 ohms?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
HAve you looked into the Marantz sr8002.I'm driving 4ohm speakers with my sr8002 and it does great.Now my speakers are 90db.Both hometheater and ultimateav have reviews on the sr8002.If i remember correctly ultimateav were using martin logan's prodigy.And as Bill Mac suggested just add a good amp.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

This really looks like an instance where a high current outboard Amplifier would be the best choice. Something like a used Aragon 8008BB would really give you what you are looking for. Dual Mono construction, dual 1.2 kVA Toroidal Transformers, 140,000uf of Filter Capacitance, and made in America.

Here is a link for a review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...gon8008bb.html

They usually sell on Audiogon for around 1200 Dollars, but sometimes are available for less. If looking to spend less, the 8008's predecessor the 4004,

is available for around 800 Dollars or less.

The 4004 was Designed by Krell Founder Dan D'Agostino and is very powerful as well.

Another good choice would be a Parasound HCA-3500 or HCA-2200. Both of these Amplifiers have large transformers and high levels of capacitance and were designed by John Curl.

If wanting to stick with an AVR, I would actually recommend the TX-SR876 B-Stock from Accessories4less. Bear in mind it weighs roughly the same amount as the 9 Channel 5007 and is a 7.1 AVR.

Here is a Bench Test of the TX-SR875: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html

It is available for 829, but again think you would be best served by purchasing an outboard Amplifier.

I am sure some will recommend Emotiva. While brand new is nice, I really think only the XPA-1 is on par with the 8008BB or HCA-3500 it terms of power and high current operation. The XPA-2 has a 1.2 kVA Toroidal Transformer and 60,000uf of Capacitance.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
14,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoli2003 /forum/post/18296402

Very interesting...

I'm sure this receiver is the number 1 for today, but...

1. This arcam is rated 120 watts per channel and 60 damping factor. Dynaudio loves high power and high damping factor

2. in my area it is almost USD 7k - quite pricey

The main issue is #1 - does it have enough power? I want my receiver play as good as stereo amps can

Do exist any more receiver that can drive 4 and even 2 ohms?

Well if the AVR600 is $7k in your area that will not work
. I really think you would be better off with a receiver such as Marantz or NAD that are well regarded for SQ with music. Then I would definitely add an external amp to what ever AVR you chose. I would highly doubt there is an AVR out there that can handle loads as low as 2 ohms.

Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/18296537

HAve you looked into the Marantz sr8002.I'm driving 4ohm speakers with my sr8002 and it does great.Now my speakers are 90db.Both hometheater and ultimateav have reviews on the sr8002.If i remember correctly ultimateav were using martin logan's prodigy.And as Bill Mac suggested just add a good amp.

Rocky, thank you for the reply

8002 is out of the stock

the new 6004 is too weak to drive the dynaudio

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/18296562

Hello,

This really looks like an instance where a high current outboard Amplifier would be the best choice. Something like a used Aragon 8008BB would really give you what you are looking for. Dual Mono construction, dual 1.2 kVA Toroidal Transformers, 140,000uf of Filter Capacitance, and made in America.

Here is a link for a review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...gon8008bb.html

They usually sell on Audiogon for around 1200 Dollars, but sometimes are available for less. If looking to spend less, the 8008's predecessor the 4004,

is available for around 800 Dollars or less.

The 4004 was Designed by Krell Founder Dan D'Agostino and is very powerful as well.

Another good choice would be a Parasound HCA-3500 or HCA-2200. Both of these Amplifiers have large transformers and high levels of capacitance and were designed by John Curl.

If wanting to stick with an AVR, I would actually recommend the TX-SR876 B-Stock from Accessories4less. Bear in mind it weighs roughly the same amount as the 9 Channel 5007 and is a 7.1 AVR.

Here is a Bench Test of the TX-SR875: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html

It is available for 829, but again think you would be best served by purchasing an outboard Amplifier.

I am sure some will recommend Emotiva. While brand new is nice, I really think only the XPA-1 is on par with the 8008BB or HCA-3500 it terms of power and high current operation. The XPA-2 has a 1.2 kVA Toroidal Transformer and 60,000uf of Capacitance.

Cheers,

AD

Thanks for an advice

actually, i'm looking for an AVR (not 2 channel amp) or pre/pro + multichannel power amp

Unfortunately neither Aragon nor Emotiva are not available in my country

I can order it by post, but will be unable to audition, pay lots of money for delivery and customs fees and don't know what to do with warranty (hopefully no problems, but...)

Onkyo's sound is not for me - it's coloured and harsh

Looks like there are too few models that can satisfy my needs ;(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/18296952

Well if the AVR600 is $7k in your area that will not work
. I really think you would be better off with a receiver such as Marantz or NAD that are well regarded for SQ with music. Then I would definitely add an external amp to what ever AVR you chose. I would highly doubt there is an AVR out there that can handle loads as low as 2 ohms.

Bill

Thanks, Bill

in this case which AVR and power amp would you recommend?

If we are talking about NAD - which one? 785?

NAD has got no multichannel power amps that can output more than 200 watts

For the moment i can see B&K ref 200.5 ($3400), Parasound A51 ($4800), Rotel RMB-1575 ($3700). Shall i check smth else and what of that worth auditioning?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky6 /forum/post/18297057

Check out the Nad T785hd or the Harman Kardon 7550hd they should handle your speakers.

in the manual of 785 there is written that it outputs 120 watts*7 or 2*140 and can run 4-ohmed speakers

HK 7550 has 85 watts (according to the manual) and nothing is written about impedance.

Looks like that there are only 2 receivers for dynaudio - Arcam AVR 600 (exceeded my budget) and NAD T785 (in the budget)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very strange sthing regarding yamahas:

TOP Z11 does not allow 4-ohmed acoustics plugging (no less than 6 ohms at any channel)

Lower model Z7 allow to plug 4-ohmed speakers as fronts. Strange...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I run a Z7 with Dynaudio Audience 72SE for fronts, Contour SC for center channel and Audience 42Sat for surrounds. I do use the Sub 500. Dynaudio speakers have a very flat impedience curve it makes for a very easy load to drive. If you run a Sub you should be able to run with many receivers depending on your taste. Without a Sub your choices would be more limited, most of your power goes to the low frequencies. The Denon 5308 would also be a good choice. My dad runs a 6.1 Theil set up with one of these and the sound is great. He does use a two channel amp for the fronts. Theils are much more difficult to drive because the impedience curve isn't as flat and they are 4ohm.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice speakers by the way. I'd like to upgrade my Aud72se to the new Focus 220 or Focus 360.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 /forum/post/18302020

I run a Z7 with Dynaudio Audience 72SE for fronts, Contour SC for center channel and Audience 42Sat for surrounds. I do use the Sub 500. Dynaudio speakers have a very flat impedience curve it makes for a very easy load to drive. If you run a Sub you should be able to run with many receivers depending on your taste. Without a Sub your choices would be more limited, most of your power goes to the low frequencies. The Denon 5308 would also be a good choice. My dad runs a 6.1 Theil set up with one of these and the sound is great. He does use a two channel amp for the fronts. Theils are much more difficult to drive because the impedience curve isn't as flat and they are 4ohm.

Do u run the setup for HT or for stereo as well?

i plan to use these speakers in stere mode (when i'm not wathcing movies) without sub

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 /forum/post/18302031

Nice speakers by the way. I'd like to upgrade my Aud72se to the new Focus 220 or Focus 360.

Definitely 360s are much much better, but they require a very big room to show what these beasts can do

·
Registered
309 Posts
I usually run my speakers with a sub and have them set to cross over at 60hz. The Z7 can be run in straight mode so it would be pure stereo. I haven't done many critical listening test but I don't find the sound offensive and I don't feel as if I'm terribly underpowered.

That said I'd add a power amp if given the right deal. More just because I can than any evidence it would be any better. The Z7 has very good preamp measurements that would make the switch easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 /forum/post/18302405

I usually run my speakers with a sub and have them set to cross over at 60hz. The Z7 can be run in straight mode so it would be pure stereo. I haven't done many critical listening test but I don't find the sound offensive and I don't feel as if I'm terribly underpowered.

That said I'd add a power amp if given the right deal. More just because I can than any evidence it would be any better. The Z7 has very good preamp measurements that would make the switch easy.

got u

thanks for useful info

now i'll need to compare face to face the Z7 and NAD T785

·
Registered
309 Posts
Last year when I was in your shoes my list was Yamaha Z7/Z11, Arcam 600, Denon 5308, NAD 785HD and Pioneer SC-09.

In the end it came down to the Z7, SC-09 and Denon 5308. Enjoy the hunt, you've got some great speakers to build with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfish19 /forum/post/18302684

Last year when I was in your shoes my list was Yamaha Z7/Z11, Arcam 600, Denon 5308, NAD 785HD and Pioneer SC-09.

In the end it came down to the Z7, SC-09 and Denon 5308. Enjoy the hunt, you've got some great speakers to build with.

why did u exclud arcam and nad?

sound?

functionality?

price?

why did u choose yammie?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts