AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10 minutes ago, I bought a pair of V5.1 Veritas Speakers for what I'd say is a damn good deal (PM me if you'd like to know more about it).

However, I am now on the hunt for a receiver that would work well with them and was wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations for the pair.

I have about $300 to spend, a little more if warranted, but cheaper is good. I'd say 50% music and 50% HT. Any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know it won't get me to much but it'll beat the stock speakers on my TV/Mac. I'd even go up to 500 if it would be worthy.

I'll take a look at the Denon - thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If you don't need video processing, you could get the Denon 1712 for $320 from Vann's with promo code "amexaudio".

This gives you Audyssey MultiEQ XT and a slightly more power (90W) compared to the 1611 (regular MultiEQ, 75W).

If you want video conversion (analog video inputs into HDMI output), you could try to get the Denon 2112 from Electronics Expo for $450 shipped like many other AVS members have been able to do lately. You also get networking with the 2112, a year longer warranty, and some other features.

You don't get any video scaling with the 1712 or 2112, but I'd argue it's not an important feature, and the MultiEQ XT alone makes the 1712 a better pick to me than the 1611.

This Denon thread has great info on the xx12 series of AVR's...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
the best thing you could do is buy a receiver from www.accessories4less.com Id suggest that you get the Onkyo 708 or a Marantz 5004/5005

·
Registered
28,659 Posts
I have a Denon AVR 591 with Energy RC-10's which are very similar to the new Veritas V5.1. Works very well for me. So I think the 1611 would work fine.

those Marantz and Onkyo receivers would be nice but are a little over your budget.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt
I have a Denon AVR 591 with Energy RC-10's which are very similar to the new Veritas V5.1. Works very well for me. So I think the 1611 would work fine.

those Marantz and Onkyo receivers would be nice but are a little over your budget.
I didn't look at the prices, onkyo 707 and marantz 5004 would be right there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a little stuck between the Marantz 5005 and the Denon 1917. Which would you guys recommend? Would the Marantz be worth the extra price? How about the 6005?

I've been reading people should pair warmer receivers to Energy speakers - any truth in that?

·
Registered
28,659 Posts
The Denon and Marantz receivers you are looking at have Audyssey calibration. They'll both work great with your Energy speakers.

Quote:
I'm a little stuck between the Marantz 5005 and the Denon 1917

Do you mean 1912?

Denon 1912 has ethernet port for internet radio, pandora streaming etc. That could come in handy.

Marantz gives you the ability to add external amplification if you should ever need more power.

Select the receiver with the feature set you like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts