AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I love to watch movies and have been looking at the entry level Magnepan MMG-W + MMG C setup. Upon my research I found that the JVC RX F10 Receiver is a perfect match for the maggies. However, most people were doing a two-channel system and I was wondering if that receiver had enough power to power all 5 speakers. Sorry if I missed important information as I am very new to this. Here's some information about the receiver...

Number of Channels: 6.1 Channels

Stereo Mode Power: 100 Watt @ 6 ohm, 40 Hz - 20 kHz, THD: 10%

Surround Mode Power: 100 Watt @ 6 ohm, 1 kHz, THD: 0.8%

Also, although this isn't the subwoofer forum, rather than starting another thread, suggestions for a sub for this system would be great! If you need anymore information let me know and thanks for everything!

·
Registered
194 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572002

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&page=1&pp=20

These are two threads you should read. The second one is pretty long, but it has a lot of good information about this speaker system. Judging by the specifications you posted, the JVC receiver will not work for these speakers. They are 4 ohm speakers and most receivers are not stable enough to at 4 ohms to adequately power them. I have these speakers and I was not able to power all five of them with a H/K AVR-525. I ended up adding a pair of 2 channel pro amps to power the front three speakers. I use the AVR-525 to power the rear two speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm checking out that long thread now. Also, how do you like your maggies? What's your experience for HT and music?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, a couple of more questions. For the fronts, would it be advisable to go for MG-IIC's rather than the MMG-W's if I can get them for a good deal. They are older but much bigger and am told are a better speaker? Is this true? Also, for the MMG W's on the rear wall, how far foward should my couch go? Is it bad to have the speakers right by the couch? Just wondering. I knwo this isn't related to the receiver but I didn't want to start a new thread...

Also, and forgive my newbness, but in what ways does the receiver matter if you are going to use it's preouts with pro amps? If I go that way, what things should I be looking for in a receiver and what is it actually doing? Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.