AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a new set of the Klipsch Quintet iii's. I am also looking to update my receiver as well. Currently I have a Sony STR-DE995. It was ok back when I was a teenager, but now I want something much more mature.

Here's a list of must haves:
  • HDMI (Up to 4 inputs and 1 output)

Upconversion(still have a regular DVD player)

I wanted to come here first before I just started out on my own.

I do have a preference for Sony, however I am not opposed to something else. I really do like the looks of the new Sony STR-DN1000, but I do have the Klipsch's and want something that will give me good sound quality too. My budget is around $500 or so.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
164 Posts
this is just my personal opinion (and i say this from experience) sony and klipsch are no-go. the sound combo between them is bright & brighter. your ears will fatigue ASAP if you try listening to anything a high levels. those speakers you have will be better served with something warm sounding to offset the klipsch's well known bright yet very detailed sound they disperse. there is some entry level marantz units out there that i would give a good look at and possibly Harmon Kardon's. but be sure to KNOW the differences among the HK model numbers because they've come out with different model numbers that has fixed previous flawed models (see the models ending in 54). the marantz's have been always pretty straight forward without any glitches in them but i wouldnt get any of their 4000 series tho. at your price point for them, look at the 5002 or 5003 models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look at Harmon Kardon for sure. I always thought Marantz's were out of my $$$ range. Like I said though, I currently have an old Sony receiver and was still blown away by the volume and range of the Klipsch speakers. I was looking at either Denon or Onkyo. What do you think about those?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Maybe Pioneer 1019?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark /forum/post/16975834

this is just my personal opinion (and i say this from experience) sony and klipsch are no-go. the sound combo between them is bright & brighter. your ears will fatigue ASAP if you try listening to anything a high levels. those speakers you have will be better served with something warm sounding to offset the klipsch's well known bright yet very detailed sound they disperse. there is some entry level marantz units out there that i would give a good look at and possibly Harmon Kardon's. but be sure to KNOW the differences among the HK model numbers because they've come out with different model numbers that has fixed previous flawed models (see the models ending in 54). the marantz's have been always pretty straight forward without any glitches in them but i wouldnt get any of their 4000 series tho. at your price point for them, look at the 5002 or 5003 models.

I agree with kclark. I would look at the marantz 5003, it is an awesome receiver. not to sure on the h/k's. i know their receivers are good but i worry about their QC problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pleasantly surprised as to what everyone is recommending. As I said above, I never thought that a Marantz would be in my price range, but after researching it a little, it looks like it may be a solid choice. Between the Marantz and the Pioneer though, which one would have the better upconversion through HDMI? I don't want to sacrafice video quality for sound quality.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I too recommend H/K. My brother has the older Klipsch Quintets mated with a H/K and it sounds very good. Buy a separate HDMI switcher if you need it - Monoprice sells one for less than $30 with remote and user ratings look good so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi. I need some advise on choosing a AV Receiver for Quintet HTS with SW-350 sub . I need at least 3 HDMI input , prefer a 7.1 ch though i only have 5.1 now. I have done some research and like the following Marantz sr5003 ,Denon avr 1910 and HK AVR 2600. I like the Marantz but it only get 3 HDMI in and the price is about 100 more than the other 2.

Any opinion on the choices?

Thanks

KL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.