AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will be upgrading my HT setup very soon, but am still learning the technicalities to a good setup. After testing out different kinds of speakers, I have decided on Klipsch. Since i'm also consolidating from my current setup (an Aiwa 5.1 shelf system from 1998, L/R main speakers are 60w surround is 33w) I was looking at smaller speakers that output big sound and like the RSX-4. I probably listen to music 55% in 2.1 and movies the other 45% with my system in my bedroom. So my first question is should I settle with the RSX-4 or go with the RSX-5? I could not find a local carrier who carries the RSX-5 to compare the RSX-4 to so i'm looking for opinions. Also for the center channel should i stick with the RSX-4 or would the C-1 or 2 be an ok pair up?


I will be pairing this with a new CD player (an Oppo DV980, I like the idea to have the option to get sa-cd or dvd-a), I have a PS3 for blu-ray and will also be using various game consoles on it, and I need an a/v reciever.


Now my second question is what receiver would be good to pair this setup with? So far I have heard that Harman Kardon, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, and Pioneer Elite are good with Klipsch, but what should I look for, how much power, or if someone already knows a good match let me know. I'd like to stay within my initial plan of no more than $300 for the receiver, but I am considering stretching that a bit further, but again, I don't reallly know what exactly to look for to get the most out of the speakers (would a $500 reciever be overkill for this setup?). I want to be able to play music in 2.1 when desired so I need a receiver that will output to the sub while in stereo mode, from what I've seen this eliminates the standard Pioneer receivers. My TV only outputs 720p/1080i, and does not have an HDMI input, however I do want the option to connect the oppo though hdmi for music, and if it will allow a reroute for hdmi to display through component would be nice, though not necessary. I'd rather have to think about an amp to add later, and get the power for these Also a 5.1 receiver is fine, this will remain a bedroom setup, later on when I have my own home, I'll think about 7.1 to set up in a bigger room. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?



if no one has any ideas, how about a link to an FAQ on how to match speakers and receivers, I couldn't come up with anything good when I googled it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
You may want to get the 5's for the fronts, especially since you do a lot of 2 channel listening, and use the 4's for the rears. Usually it is best to keep the front 3 speakers the same, so I do not think getting a c-1 center channel would be a good idea. As far as HDMI in with componeent out for video purposes, I think you would have to increase your budget significantly to accomplish this in a receiver. You should check out the Marantz sr4002 at Onecall.com, it is just passed $300 and would sound good with the Klipsch. I have an older HK 525 driving Klipsch Reference speakers and I love the sound. If you can stomach somewhere between $400 and $500 you could get a receiver with more features. You should be able to find the Harman Kardon 254 around $400, try JR.com. You get DTS & DD HD with the HK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,673 Posts
I agree - HK receivers and Klipsch Speakers are a great match. I have the HK AVR 745 and Klipsch RF5, RC7, RS35 system. Killer sound!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top