AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after looking at a few of "Receiver for me" threads, and going back and forth between the Denon 3311/10 and pioneer 1120 threads, i figure I would start my own since my needs are slightly different, and I think i have been hijacking (if I am using it correctly) some of the subwoofer threads lately ("which subwoofer should i get" threads). I am all over the place :)

So as it stands, My current set up consists of

1. Klipsch RF 82 I

2. Klipsch RC-64 II (being shipped as you read this)

3. Emotiva XPA-3

4. Emotiva XPA-2

5. BIC PL-200 (may be swapped out for something else)

I recently sold my Onkyo 507 so I haven't tested my emotiva's yet since I had no preouts but wanted to take advantage of the sale (which is still going on to my surprise, doh!)

I plan on getting Klipsch RF-7II in the future. Hopefully, late next year around this time. Anyways, since I have external amps, I would like

1. 12v triggers (Option: being able to turn them on individually as done with the UMC-1)

2. pre-outs

3. Don't care for 3D

4. Internet connectivity would be nice, Pandora would be nice

5. Audessey Mult XT or something very similar or better

and probably the most important thing I would like is

6. excellent sound quality (SQ)

Some say the marantz for sound quality but sacrifice features (seems to not me the case with their **05 models). Some say get Integra/Denon/Onkyo (any online retailer) and get the features and more but sacrifice SQ.

The hard part about it is I am working with a budget of $750 or less. My listening habits: 85% movies, 15% mp3 music. With listening habits in mind, do I really need to pay attention to SQ? Also, I will have a plasma hooked up to this in addition to aa htpc and possibly a stand-alone blu-ray player. I don't need dual hdmi outs.

I am probably asking for a lot given my budget. I will probably be buying this next month or early next year.

Thank you.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19551438

You're on the right track with the 1120 and 3310...

thanks, I think I have been going crazy going back and forth. The thing I don't know about, and would help me decide between the 3310 vs the 3311 anyways, is would I like the Audyssey XT over the non-XT. That is something for me to decide but I still don't know. It would be great if i can demo them but that isn't possible as well.

bump

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19553773

At least one guy in the 3311 thread noted he got it for not much more than your budget max from 6Ave.

Yeah, I won't be ordering from 6ave at all. Ever since the whole LG BD570 debacle the other morning. Anyways, yes I have seen that price, so it is included in my watchlist.

I guess the room will affect the performance of MultEQ and MultEQ XT. Having a normal square room might prove no difference between the two. Yes? Don't know what room I will have late next year but currently have a long rectangular room that then opens up into a kitchen

·
Registered
213 Posts
EE should be able to come within $50 of your budget max on the 3311. That is where I got mine (for less than $50 over your max)...and I absolutely love it so far. Chose not to go with Pioneer due to wanting Audyssey...

Incidentally I have an XPA-5 ordered... Good luck with your decision...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde8965 /forum/post/19554232

Chose not to go with Pioneer due to wanting Audyssey...

why? did you have a pioneer receiver before? and if you wanted audyssey, why did you go with the 3311, rather than the 3310

Thanks

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Return the Emotiva amps. You do not even remotely need them w/ horn loaded speakers that have a minimum 98 dB sensitivity. Use the refund to increase your AVR budget and still have plenty of money left over.

AJ

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19554869

Return the Emotiva amps. You do not even remotely need them w/ horn loaded speakers that have a minimum 98 dB sensitivity. Use the refund to increase your AVR budget and still have plenty of money left over.

AJ

to increase the AVR budget in order to get what exactly? What are you recommendations?

I think it was silly of my to purchase the emotiva amps without having a receiver to do a before external amps, and after external amps comparison. I felt like I would be getting somewhat a cleaner sound than internal amps in the avr. Also the fact that I don't know how much they will be raising their prices on these amps next year if I do decide to get them. I still have a few days to return one and little over a week to return the other.

My Onkyo did just fine with my RF82s and RC62. I just don't know if I will be missing something. I have seen a few comment on how it added much more clarity, especially in the dialogue/center channel speaker. Then again, it could be someone justifying their purchase, or really adds more to the experience.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be considering that as I know I went into purchasing them as a backwards step...I feel like that is something you definitely add if you find your avr lacking. My goal was to acheive very clean power/sound and give my speakers lots of headroom but like you said, they would have more than enough with the avrs I have been considering...

can't make up my mind, so little money

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ /forum/post/19554818

why? did you have a pioneer receiver before? and if you wanted audyssey, why did you go with the 3311, rather than the 3310

Thanks

Had a Pioneer receiver back in the day before Audyssey or MCACC. Just from reading around here a lot over the last several months Auyssey is held in higher regard even by a lot of Pioneer owners. I am sure the Pioneer is an awesome receiver. But the 3311 has MultiEQ XT whereas the 3310 has MultiEQ only. After having an Onkyo for a while with 2eQ (lesser version of Audyssey) I felt like I wanted the best room correction possible to deal with my room accoustics (untreated room). So far it has done a great job...

I have Polk Monitor series speakers for my 5 with a Rythmic F15 sub. I am very happy with my setup now... But cannot wait for the Emo XPA-5 to get here...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am thinking about just ordering the Denon 3310 from amazon and getting it before the Emotiva 30day return policy is no more, and seeing if I like/need the amps. It seems as if amazon doesn't charge you anything if you are not satisfied with it once after opening it. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2g_ /forum/post/19555125

I am thinking about just ordering the Denon 3310 from amazon and getting it before the Emotiva 30day return policy is no more, and seeing if I like/need the amps.

Nothing credible can come from pitting an AVR against the Emotiva amps, at least not in favor of the amps. Your Klipsch speakers can play very loud w/ only 1 W, painfully loud w/ only 10 W. Any AVR can handle that as easily as any amp.

Additionally, to compare an AVR to the Emotiva amps, you will have to run Audyssey auto set up again each time you switch from AVR to amps (or vice versa), as the gain structure will be different for each. The different gain structure, if not accounted for in set up, will result in a level difference. And you will likely perceive the louder configuration to be "better."

AJ

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19555537

Nothing credible can come from pitting an AVR against the Emotiva amps, at least not in favor of the amps. Your Klipsch speakers can play very loud w/ only 1 W, painfully loud w/ only 10 W. Any AVR can handle that as easily as any amp.

Additionally, to compare an AVR to the Emotiva amps, you will have to run Audyssey auto set up again each time you switch from AVR to amps (or vice versa), as the gain structure will be different for each. The different gain structure, if not accounted for in set up, will result in a level difference. And you will likely perceive the louder configuration to be "better."

AJ

Noted. I was going to test it str8 out of the box, with audyssey setup, and then audyssey and amp setup.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for all of your help. I am really enjoying the Denon 3310 and may opt for the 3311. The Audyssey is very nice compared to the one I had with my Onkyo 507. With just a 2.1 setup, it sounded 10x better actually (if I am allowed to exaggerate). After reading batpigs guide and also the manual, as well as the Audyssey setup thread, this avr tuned everything quite nice. I then threw in the XPA-3/XPA-2. To be honest, I heard a little difference. Not night and day as that would indicate something else is wrong
. I figure I will keep the amps and return the avr until I can afford the 3311, or when the 3310 drops another $100 or more since I go it in the middle of amazon jacking up the prices on it.

Again, thanks again. I can only read so much from what others have said about adding amps to their systems, and audyssey vs MCACC, but glad I finally gave in, and just tried it for myself.

I am about to ask these questions in the Emotiva thread but in case someone reads this first, here it is

1. First, do the Meter LEDs work (work in terms of showing some sort of activity) when using unbalanced/RCA cables or just XLR?-->EDIT: I guess I won't see these in action until I start cranking it up to insane volume levels

2. When using the XPA-3, I noticed a hum in my speakers. I did not pay attention if I head the same with the XPA-2, but I started cutting off some things, like a lamp that was on, the living room light, my computer, tv, and the avr. I noticed when everything else is on besides the avr, there is no hum. When the avr is on, there is a slight hum. Note, I am in front of my speaker to hear it more clearly. When sitting 7-8 feet away, I can hear the hum, but so faintly. You probably wouldn't notice until I ask for you to listen to it. Seeing that I can never get dead silence in the room since I live really close to the highway, is this normal? The amp itself produces a buzz/ hum noise but you can hardly hear it when in front of the amp with ears 1-2 inches from it. It is along the lines of that faint sound. Hope I am making sense

EDIT2: I may have to change my speaker wire. I ordered some 12 AWG speaker wire to replace the 16AWG wire I have currently. Maybe that will help. It seems it only happens when the AVR is on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts