AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys

First post here but long time reader (and I've decided to direct the question to you from that trust haha)

Okay so I have an old VSX-D510 which is serving me well but I think it's time to upgrade.

I mostly listen to music through the receiver as it is connected to my computer (through optical) as well as my turntable, casette player (yeah! lol) and DVD-A player.

I listen to various types of music from progressive rock to death metal and I have a pretty sweet speaker set up that I am happy with at the moment.

I like to use DVD-A (5.1 surround albums) or 6ch FLAC/DTS files too. Not sure if my current setup is properly decoding them or just 'emulating' them

Speakers that would be going into the receiver:

Wharfedale Diamond 8 Centre Channel Speaker
Wharfedale Opal-30 (in the rear)
42" Cabinet Speakers (Front R+L) Custom built
and finally, a 250w Custom 12" Subwoofer

friend is a 'boutique' speaker builder in Australia and so these customs are pretty sweet

For features I wouldn't mind having iPod connectivity/display (for my ****** iPod Classic that I can't seem to replace due to storage)

Help me spend my money!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevereverender  /t/1504307/receiver-for-mostly-audio-connected-to-pc#post_24046544

Hey guys

First post here but long time reader (and I've decided to direct the question to you from that trust haha)

Okay so I have an old VSX-D510 which is serving me well but I think it's time to upgrade.

I mostly listen to music through the receiver as it is connected to my computer (through optical) as well as my turntable, casette player (yeah! lol) and DVD-A player.

I listen to various types of music from progressive rock to death metal and I have a pretty sweet speaker set up that I am happy with at the moment.

I like to use DVD-A (5.1 surround albums) or 6ch FLAC/DTS files too. Not sure if my current setup is properly decoding them or just 'emulating' them

Your PC and your DVD-A player are handling the decoding and are probably doing an adequate job.
Quote:
Speakers that would be going into the receiver:

Wharfedale Diamond 8 Centre Channel Speaker

Wharfedale Opal-30 (in the rear)

42" Cabinet Speakers (Front R+L) Custom built

and finally, a 250w Custom 12" Subwoofer

friend is a 'boutique' speaker builder in Australia and so these customs are pretty sweet

For features I wouldn't mind having iPod connectivity/display (for my ****** iPod Classic that I can't seem to replace due to storage)

Help me spend my money!

There are a wide variety of AVRs that will do the job. Pricing and availability in Australia are different than in the US so many of us are at a disadvantage. IME Denon makes AVRs that sound good and are reasonable values for the money. The more expensive ones have features that may benefit you and justify their higher cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts