AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine (with a short timeframe for purchase) is considering a NHT absolute zero 5.1 setup (with the ten). He'll need a receiver, and the total budget is around $2000. After the speakers, that leaves about $500-$1000 for a receiver. I'm leaning towards a denon (can pick up a refurb 3808 and stay in budget), but figured I'd ask for advice.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
The 3808 is a fine receiver for those speakers (which sound awesome for their size BTW). You can also look at a Marantz (they have some refurbs at www.accessories4less.com ). Just get one with Audyssey as it does make a difference in the auto-setup and helps with acoustical issues of the room. I don't think you can go wrong with the 3808 though.

Ray

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response cavchameleon, I'll check out the Marantz ones as well.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those refurb Marantz receivers seem really cheap. I might even pick up a replacement for my older-than-dirt Yamaha RX-V1000. How much amplification should I be looking for to push the Absolute Zero 5.1 system?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much power will 5 NHT Absolute Zeros really need to sound decent?

·
Registered
894 Posts
The cheap Marantz refurbs (well, the 6001 anyway) may in fact have more power than the 3808!

The higher-end Denons (also consider a refurb 2809 from Dakmart) do have the advantage of better Audyssey though. Also note that Marantz AVRs can't run Audyssey and decode the new HBR audio formats at the same time... You have to have the player decode them to PCM to use Audyssey correction.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is for a non-audiophile's living room. I would like to save them as much money as I can. They of course want "the best", but then they also want to spend about $1600 on the whole package. If a SR5003 (or even SR4003) would adequately push the speakers, that's the direction I'd like to go, I just don't know if it will. The 4003 has a published 80 wpc, and the NHT Verve, which I am assuming by price will use less power than the Classic series, has a published lower end of 75 wpc.

But then again, this "customer" is not going to be trying to set any volume records.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,004 Posts
The AVR's you're looking at will power the Absolute's just fine. Marantz is pretty accurate with their power ratings (it's with all channels driven). A lot of AVR's that claim 120watts is actually with only 1 or 2 channels driven and are actually only ~50watts with all channels driven. At normal listening levels, you may only be using 5watts/channel. You should have no problem driving them with the SR5003 or the SR4003 IMO. Note, you do need a sub with these NHT's. They are small bookshelves and will need a sub, which I gather from the OP that it's the NHT 10, which will mate with these just fine.

Ray

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 /forum/post/16918647

The cheap Marantz refurbs (well, the 6001 anyway) may in fact have more power than the 3808!

The higher-end Denons (also consider a refurb 2809 from Dakmart) do have the advantage of better Audyssey though. Also note that Marantz AVRs can't run Audyssey and decode the new HBR audio formats at the same time... You have to have the player decode them to PCM to use Audyssey correction.

The Maranta 5003 does decode the new audio formats and features the Audyssey MultiEQ calibration. You have to let the player decode the HD Audio instead?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, for sub I was thinking either the NHT 10/12 or the SVS PB10/12-NSD.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteArrow /forum/post/16919543

Yes, for sub I was thinking either the NHT 10/12 or the SVS PB10/12-NSD.

Both the NHT's and SVS subs mentioned are excellent performers. It may come down to finish. The NHT's have a very nice black piano finished and a rounded top. The SVS subs are matt black and boxed shaped. Looks like the prices are comparable. Keep us posted on how the final setup turns out.

Ray

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the EXACT same thought. Well, the NHT is prettier...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The good news is they decided to buy up the speakers and buy down the receiver (per advice). I love it when people go from "help us pick out a Bose system" to making sound decisions to get a quality product.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you guys think it would be worth upgrading the two fronts to NHT Twos if it means downgrading the receiver from a Marantz SR5003 to a SR4003?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: NHT seems to think the SR4003 would push this system just fine.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteArrow /forum/post/16919771

The good news is they decided to buy up the speakers and buy down the receiver (per advice). I love it when people go from "help us pick out a Bose system" to making sound decisions to get a quality product.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteArrow /forum/post/16919944

Do you guys think it would be worth upgrading the two fronts to NHT Twos if it means downgrading the receiver from a Marantz SR5003 to a SR4003?

Not really. With the sub, there really is no difference (same tweeter and slightly lower end on the Twos). Now, the Threes area BIG step up, but not necessary for this system. I'd stay with the Zeros and the SR5003.

This setup is very pretty! My wife loves the NHT Classic series - nice curves...

Ray

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteArrow /forum/post/16920001

Update: NHT seems to think the SR4003 would push this system just fine.

I agree. The power increase in the 5003 will not make any difference. The main difference is the decoding. The 5003 decodes the newer codec's (not important if using a bluray player that does it onboard). The other difference is that the 5003 has Audyssey auto cal and the 4003 has their own version, which IMO is not as good (I have a preference for Audyssey). So you may want to mention these to them. Now, if the decoding and autocal are not important, the power is pretty much equivalent.

Ray

1 - 20 of 45 Posts