AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

been racking my brain on what receiver to get for my four patio speakers. I have two Yamaha NS-AW570WH on the patio and Two TIC Omni garden 5 1/4 speakers by the pool. It's all installed just need a receiver.

I basically just want a receiver that I can plug my ipod touch to with pandora and listen to good, clean music. On a recommendation from a guy at best buy I was told to get a Sony 5.1 receiver, model STR-DH510 to power my 4 speakers . With the Sony I would plug in the yamahas as my front speakers and the Omni garden speakers into the surround?

Upon further research, googling etc I think maybe the Sherwood RX-5502 may better suit my needs.

Both are priced at about $150.

Please help, spending hours trying to figure this out

thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/20964424

No need for a 5.1 receiver for outdoor speakers..

Check out the HK 3390..

Just my $0.02...

Anyone else second the HK 3390 over the sherwood to power my patio and garden speakers? I have also heard great things about the Onkyo TX-8255 which is $160 on amazon, HK 3390 is $220, Sherwood $140.

On a side note can I add a passive subwoofer like this model to the Harman Kardon 3390 or need to bump up to 3490? http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technologi.../dp/B001JQLJ8Q

I bought a brand new one for $40 thinking it was a good deal and may be able to use it one day, if not now that's ok I have the receipt and can send it back. I know it's a passive sub, and the instruction manual says to wire it to two other patio speakers and the sub will take the lows and the mids and highs will go to the smaller patio speakers (built in crossover?) thanks guys I'm so new to this

These are specs of the speakers I have setup outside:

The two yamahas 40-120 watts max, 6ohm

The two TIC Omni garden speakers 50-100 watts, 8 ohms

and (Possibly if receiver can do it safely) One Passive Rock Subwoofer dual voice, built in crossover 10-150watts max, 8 ohms

·
Registered
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin2010
Anyone else second the HK 3390 over the sherwood to power my patio and garden speakers? I have also heard great things about the Onkyo TX-8255 which is $160 on amazon, HK 3390 is $220, Sherwood $140.

On a side note can I add a passive subwoofer like this model to the Harman Kardon 3390 or need to bump up to 3490? http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technologi.../dp/B001JQLJ8Q

I bought a brand new one for $40 thinking it was a good deal and may be able to use it one day, if not now that's ok I have the receipt and can send it back. I know it's a passive sub, and the instruction manual says to wire it to two other patio speakers and the sub will take the lows and the mids and highs will go to the smaller patio speakers (built in crossover?) thanks guys I'm so new to this

These are specs of the speakers I have setup outside:

The two yamahas 40-120 watts max, 6ohm

The two TIC Omni garden speakers 50-100 watts, 8 ohms

and (Possibly if receiver can do it safely) One Passive Rock Subwoofer dual voice, built in crossover 10-150watts max, 8 ohms
The Sherwood is a great budget stereo receiver but doesn't have the amplifier over-design that the HKs' have. If you going to connect a passive subwoofer a higher current amplifier like the HK would be a better choice in terms of reliability..

Either the 3390 or 3490 should work fine..

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a similair setup. If using a passive sub, does it get wired to the L/R Front and then the rest of the speakers feed off of the sub, correct?

@ Gavin, do you have any experience or additional info on the rock sub? Looks cool

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by troye
I have a similair setup. If using a passive sub, does it get wired to the L/R Front and then the rest of the speakers feed off of the sub, correct?

@ Gavin, do you have any experience or additional info on the rock sub? Looks cool
No experience with it just got a great deal on it and thought it would be nice to have a weather resistant sub in the back by the pool. Yeah I believe the L/R go out to sub and then the smaller patio speakers take the mids, highs that are left over....

Here's the manual on it if you want to take a look at it....
http://www.nxgtechnology.com/images/...000_manual.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code
The Sherwood is a great budget stereo receiver but doesn't have the amplifier over-design that the HKs' have. If you going to connect a passive subwoofer a higher current amplifier like the HK would be a better choice in terms of reliability..

Either the 3390 or 3490 should work fine..

Just my $0.02..
So you think the either HK would be better than the Onkyo? I'm pretty much sold on either one of the HKs or Onkyo, just not sure the HK's will be worth the $80-140 more than the Onkyo for my setup.

Also, do you think the HK 3490s 120 watts would make a big difference over the 3390's 80watts?

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,190 Posts
Quote:
So you think the either HK would be better than the Onkyo? I'm pretty much sold on either one of the HKs or Onkyo, just not sure the HK's will be worth the $80-140 more than the Onkyo for my setup.

Also, do you think the HK 3490s 120 watts would make a big difference over the 3390's 80watts?

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.
The 3390 is a proven product..

No need to go up to the 3490 unless you want some of its digital features...

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code
The 3390 is a proven product..

No need to go up to the 3490 unless you want some of its digital features...

Just my $0.02...
Well I actually had a question on the digital features. I'm gonna use my ipod touch streaming pandora pretty much 100% of the time on whichever unit I decide on. Is there a big difference in quality from connecting av cable to iphone/ipod to lets say some other route like apple tv and optical cable?

And did you ever check on the Onkyo 8255 or you still think HK for sure. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Quote:
anyone? Thank you
With the Sony 510 you will have the yamaha's plugged into the front speaker set A with the outdoor speakers plugged into speaker set B. And you'll be able to select between them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425
With the Sony 510 you will have the yamaha's plugged into the front speaker set A with the outdoor speakers plugged into speaker set B. And you'll be able to select between them
The sony 510 doesn't have set A and set B. I'm looking at the back of the 510 now. that must be another sony unit. I'm actually taking the sony 510 back to store tomorrow and getting either the onkyo or hk 3390

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I ordered the HK 3390 from amazon for $228 out the door.

I drew up how I think I should wire up the Harman Kardon Receiver to the passive subwoofer out to the smaller garden speakers.....Let me know if this looks right and should work fine.....thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know the Harman Kardon will power two yamahas on one set of terminals, and two garden speakers hooked up together to the passive sub in parallel. Or will it overheat? Maybe I should just get a two receivers one for patio speakers and one for sub.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know the Harman Kardon will power two yamahas and two garden speakers hooked up to passive sub in parallel. Or will it overheat?

Maybe I should just get a two receivers one for patio speakers and one for sub.....I just found a locally used and working Sherwood model RD-7103 for $30. The manual says its 6ohm, but the subwoofer is 8ohm will this work?? Sorry for all the questions, just very new to this stuff....

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/pdf/RD-7103.pdf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts