AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a new HT system. I think I have decided on the SVS package with the towers for speakers, and the PB12 sub.

Now I need a recommendation for a receiver. I am leaning toward an Onkyo, but not sure which one I would need.

My needs would be for 80% Bluray/DVD/HDTV and 20% music. I really like the idea of THX but not sure if its needed. Also, I have no idea about decoding and all that other stuff that are popular features. My budget is approx $500.

I do not have a BD player yet, so maybe that should be a consideration on my selection? Thanks

·
Registered
850 Posts
Amazon is having a sale on the Pioneer 9040 . It is a clone of the Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH. With the sale price, it comes to just $5 over your budget. You could give that receiver a look.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
That Pioneer is a decent AVR.

Also take a look at the Denon 790/1910 AVRs and the Onkyo SR707 if you don't mind refurbished.

These each have Audyssey MultEQ room correction.

THX certification is (IMO) over rated. Audyssey is not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im really liking the Onkyo 707. But I think I may have changed my mind on speaker selection. Im looking at PSB's Image T65's. Will this still be a good receiver for these speakers? Thanks

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Most any $500 AVR will drive whatever speakers you might choose to buy - unless you are wanting electrostats. You might have a problem with those.

Chose an AVR based on the features you want - buy speakers that are 8ohm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts