AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first my setup. PS3 via HDMI, DTV HD-DVR via HDMI and OTA. Going to a 55-a2000 sxrd. (Another big thing is I-pod as I want the best easy way to use the ipod through the remote)

I was set to get the Onkyo 606 and just am looking for some input on what is the best receiver to get for my setup and the best hookup to the tv from the receiver.

Thanks for all the input and please no in fighting just say what you like and why it is better than the others.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080P Input /forum/post/14172044

Okay first my setup. PS3 via HDMI, DTV HD-DVR via HDMI and OTA. Going to a 55-a2000 sxrd.

I was set to get the Onkyo 606 and just am looking for some input on what is the best receiver to get for my setup and the best hookup to the tv from the receiver.

Thanks for all the input and please no in fighting just say what you like and why it is better than the others.

Thanks for the help.

In addition to a new Onkyo 606 you may want to consider a refurb Onkyo 805 from dealers such as eCost.com (selling for under your $600 price point). Denon's new product line isn't due out for a couple of months and here is the link to the on-going AVS thread on the new Denon models. At your price point you are probably looking at the AVR-1909 ($649 MSRP). eCost carries refurb Denon receivers that are good deals but their stock comes and goes very frequently. If you can catch one in stock a refurb AVR-2808Ci would probably give the most bang for the buck for a Denon and keeping at the price point you are looking for.

Also since the PS3 decodes the advanced high resolution audio formats (e.g., Dolby True-HD and DTS HD-MA) you could use an older model AVR that lacks such decoding. However, since many people tend to keep the the same AVR for 10 years or more, I would go ahead and buy an AVR that does include the decoding for these advanced audio formats so that you are ready for to add possible future HD sources that only bitstream the advanced audio (i.e., require the decoding be done in the AVR).

·
Registered
510 Posts
After owning Yamaha and Denon I would say the Onkyo although their customer service is not the best. I know it is not the model you are looking at Home Theater Mag just rated the Onkyo better than the Denon or Yamaha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts