AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on getting a cheap receiver for a temporary set up, but the more I look it seems the receiver is the heart of a set up these days. My projector has one HDMI input, but I need to hook up a cable box, XBOX 360 and blu-ray player to it. I would also like to hook my Wii up to something with component cables, and just have it run through the same HDMI cable as everything else to the projector.

First, is it possible to send everything through one cable, obviously there needs to be some sort of "Switching" going on.

Can a receiver do this?

Which receivers can do this?

I am open to using a HDMI hub form Monoprice to meet my requirements.

I really have not kept up with home theater the past 3 years, so I tend to be completely lost with the new equipment out there.

My original budget was $200, but since I snagged an Epson 705hd for under $600, I can go up to $500, but I would prefer to go cheaper if I can.

I want 5.1 sound, having a 7 channel with the option to have 2 speakers somewhere else is a plus but not needed.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
981 Posts
You need a receiver that has analog to digital up-conversion. The Denon 1610 (5.1) and Onkyo 607 (7.1) are two popular choices that can do this. All manufactures have several options as well. Usually the lowest cost receivers don't have this but the ones that do start around $400 or so.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
The Denon 1910 can be found in that price range on occasion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what are the names of the features I am looking for, I haven't seen one say "HDMI Hub with digital up convert".

The 1910 is a little pricey, but I found one for $430ish. I would like to go cheaper if possible but this is very doable if this is what I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18219459

The Denon 1910 can be found in that price range on occasion.

That's right. I recently picked up a Denon 1910 on eBay BNIB for $449.00 shipped. It arrived in about one week and is perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up with an Onkyo 607, for $350 to my door it looks like it will do everything I need it to do.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might have jumped on that open box item if I would have found it, but alas I did not. I guess my internet skillz are weak. For what I need, it looks like I am getting everything I need in the Onkyo unit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ElectronicsExpo has a sale going on now. You can pick up the 1910 I believe for around $400 plus shipping. It is a brand new unit and they are an authorized dealer. I would hesitate to order from a non-authorized dealer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
at that price I'd go with the Onkyo over the Denon, you made a good choice, btw what you are looking for is called HDMI upconversion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts