AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have connected my PC to Marantz receiver using both HDMI & SPDIF. For the source selected in receiver I have set audio to use Spdif. But when I try to play 5.1 audio through SPDIF, I am unable to.

Using VLC, when I playing a video source which has surround, I can select audio device in VLC either by

1. Right click > Audio > Audio Device > SPDIF

2. Right click > Audio > Audio Device > 5.1

In most videos, option 1 is available. When its selected, receiver detects DD or DTS and plays.

But in some videos, Spdif is not available, option #2 is available. When I select it, audio plays only in two channel.

How can i select 5.1, route it to the receiver and make it play as 5.1?

·
Registered
15,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs  /t/1520791/receiver-how-to-play-5-1-output-from-vlc-using-spdif#post_24433584

I have connected my PC to Marantz receiver using both HDMI & SPDIF. For the source selected in receiver I have set audio to use Spdif. But when I try to play 5.1 audio through SPDIF, I am unable to.

Using VLC, when I playing a video source which has surround, I can select audio device in VLC either by

1. Right click > Audio > Audio Device > SPDIF

2. Right click > Audio > Audio Device > 5.1

In most videos, option 1 is available. When its selected, receiver detects DD or DTS and plays.

But in some videos, Spdif is not available, option #2 is available. When I select it, audio plays only in two channel.

How can i select 5.1, route it to the receiver and make it play as 5.1?

S/PDIF connections can transport 2 channel PCM or up to 5.1 lossy Dolby Digital or up to 6.1 lossy DTS-ES. If the audio is not one of those formats, then the media player (VLC in your case) has to downconvert to 2 channel PCM. Dolby Digital and DTS encoders normally are not available.

HDMI is a better transport choice, since it can transport up to 7.1 channels of lossless LPCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA with very high bitrates.

VLC has additional channel limitations since it still requires the use of DirectSound. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495316/which-media-players-reconfigure-hdmi-to-match-number-of-source-channels

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I agree with the MPC-Hc suggestion as well, but I'd ask this question in the HTPC section, too. There is a pretty active J.River community in that section and they could probably help.

Edit: Here's a link to the owners thread, but there are a bunch of other threads there, too:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1352282/jriver-media-center-owners-thread

1 - 5 of 5 Posts