AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have a Sony receiver (DG810) - Has 3 HDMI INputs, 3 Component & 3 Composite Inputs. Each "section" of inputs is labeled the same - SAT in, DVD in, Video 1 in- But what happens is once I connected my 3 HDMI devices to each port - doing that defeated the composite & component Inputs of the same name, and they did NOT function. I found this a little odd - since the receiver basically loses 2/3 of it's connectivity. Is this common amongst most of the other similarly priced receivers brands in the $300 range? Have any of you not had this problem with your receiver? I really need to have receiver which can handle 9 components simultaneously, without all this baloney. Thanks for your help, Deca

·
Banned
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decapad /forum/post/12864570

Hi - I have a Sony receiver (DG810) - Has 3 HDMI INputs, 3 Component & 3 Composite Inputs. Each "section" of inputs is labeled the same - SAT in, DVD in, Video 1 in- But what happens is once I connected my 3 HDMI devices to each port - doing that defeated the composite & component Inputs of the same name, and they did NOT function. I found this a little odd - since the receiver basically loses 2/3 of it's connectivity. Is this common amongst most of the other similarly priced receivers brands in the $300 range? Have any of you not had this problem with your receiver? I really need to have receiver which can handle 9 components simultaneously, without all this baloney. Thanks for your help, Deca

Like I said in your other thread, this is pretty much common across all receivers. Just because each input section has multiple input types doesn't mean you can use all of them simultaneously. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense to make all inputs for a section active at once. For example, if you have HDMI, S-Video, and component cables all plugged into the "DVD" input simultaneously, how is the receiver supposed to know which input to use? There ARE some receivers that will "go down the list" in terms of inputs automatically (check HDMI, then Component, then S-Video, etc. to see which one is generating a signal), but even with this feature, having an HDMI cable plugged into the input will usually shut down the other inputs because of HDCP copy protection.

If you want a receiver that can handle 9 components simultaneously, then you need to buy one that has that many input 'sections'.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decapad /forum/post/12864570

Some receivers, Yamaha for instance, allow you to map the input types which can give you more availability of certain types of inputs. For example, you can have a DVD player hooked up via optical cable and map the coaxial input labeled DVD to the CD input.

You won't be able to hook up more components than the receiver's input selection allows for, so if your Sony has 5 input selections you'll be limited to those.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again - this is one of my problems with this forum - you ask a straightforward question - and get a crooked answer. Just got off the phone with Onkyo tech support - and the 605 & 705 will do what I asked within a similar budget. Interpol (and other blowhards like Interpol) If you don't know the answer to the direct question - why don't you try keeping your mouths shut, it's just better for everybody! Deca

PS - Thank you HTM Vinnie - this was not directed to pleasant people like you.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I am glad you found out what you want to know. But please try to be less confrontational even if you think someone has been rude to you.

I have connected both composite and component inputs to the same input on one Yamaha receiver, so I wasn't forced to switch my TV to the component input. This was before component video upconversion though. I am not sure how Yamaha receivers work now.

·
Banned
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decapad /forum/post/12866043

Hello again - this is one of my problems with this forum - you ask a straightforward question - and get a crooked answer. Just got off the phone with Onkyo tech support - and the 605 & 705 will do what I asked within a similar budget. Interpol (and other blowhards like Interpol) If you don't know the answer to the direct question - why don't you try keeping your mouths shut, it's just better for everybody! Deca

PS - Thank you HTM Vinnie - this was not directed to pleasant people like you.

Wow, sorry I even jumped into this thread, but exactly what did I do/say to deserve being called a 'blowhard'? I certainly wasn't trying to be rude to you and I believe I even helped you in your other thread, so why are you jumping on me? Additionally, what I stated here and elsewhere was true, regardless of what someone at Onkyo told you.

Anyway, sorry again. Hope a moderator gives you a warning for the namecalling, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've nothing to do with this but just thought I should mention that when I read through your response I didn't think it was rude at all. In fact, I thought it explained the issue in a very simple to understand, concise way.

·
Registered
302 Posts
decapad,

There is nothing "crooked" about interpol's answer.He gave a clear,concise and intelligent response ! One thing this forum does not need are people with attitudes doing childish name calling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts