AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a very similar question to this on these forums about 5 years ago but now I'm buying another new TV and of course re-working how things are wired.

Is it better to connect all of my components to my TV, and use the TV's Optical Out to go to my 5.1 receiver? Or is it more optimal to connect all of my components to the Receiver and use the receiver's HDMI out to relay the signal to the TV?

I heard in the past that some TV's optical outputs are only 2-channel but I don't think that would apply to modern smart TVs?

The TV I'm getting is a Sony XBR-75X850D. It's a 4k TV. My amp is an older mid-range Pioneer amp .. not sure the model number but if that's important I can get it. It's from around 2011 or so at any rate.

Would older receivers have trouble passing through a 4k signal?

My line of thinking is that since in order to use my TV's own apps, I will need to make use of the TV's Optical Out anyway, so could I not just run all sources to the TV instead of to the amp?

My HDMI components will be a Playstation 4, a Cogeco Cable TV box and an NVidia Shield (which might not get used since the TV already has AndroidTV).

Thoughts?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I run all sources through my receiver. You have more choices for audio formats, particularly lossless (blurays with TrueHD/DTS HD for example) that optical cannot pass plus I simply prefer my avr as a switching device over my tv. I rarely use my tv's apps, but when I do want to use a tv-based app I just enable the ARC feature (via HDMI control features) on my tv/avr; many simply run an optical connection from tv to avr. Whether the tv app has multi-ch capability, or which particular codec, or if your tv only passes multi-ch from OTA sources or sources connected directly to your tv, depends on the tv....not familiar with yours. Depends how old your avr is as to if/how it deals with 4k (not going 4k for quite a while so don't worry about it myself).

·
Registered
21,371 Posts
Nothing has changed much in 5 years.

Optical/coax (S/PDIF) is limited for audio.

Using a TV as the A/V switching hub could be problematic for "passing" hi-rez audio to an A/V receiver via ARC/HDMI.

If anticipating using the A/V receiver as the switching hub for video, it must support 4K. So, a new receiver should be in your budget.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts