AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still new to the home theater systems so I hope someone could answer my question. I have a Pioneer VSX 524K receiver, Polk CS1 Series II Center Speaker, Polk Monitor 50 Series II Floorstanding Speakers (use as rear/surround speakers), Polk PSW10 Powered Subwoofer, and Kilpsch Synergy F-20 Floorstanding Speakers (use as front speakers). I have been using them for 5 months and it was fine until recently the receiver is overheat and turned off by itself several time. Does anyone know what could possibly go wrong here? Could it be because the receiver and speakers are not compatible?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Do you have it in a cabinet or enclosed / covered in any way that restricts its airflow?

It may have been fine in the winter, but depending on your location, the ambient temperature may be 5-10 degrees warmer now, which could mean the difference between 'borderline' and 'unacceptable' temperature.

There isn't any compatibility problem with those speakers. Does the AVR shut down after a period of use (heavy use?) or just randomly?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Its not likely to be a compatibility issue as much as it is that you have an underpowered receiver and some bigger speakers. You are trying to push the speakers and your receiver just doesn't have the power to do it so it overheats. I was looking at the 1124 to power some fairly comparable speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts