AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a surround sound system. This is my first surround sound system. I replaced all the old cables. I got some monster 16 guage THX speaker wire. So we do the setup and everything and we place Star Wars Episode I. We go straight to the pod racing scene and the receiver keeps shutting itself off. Does anyone have any reasoning for this? The playback mode is Dolby Digital in 5.1...any suggestions?

I forgot to add this is a HTIB Kenwood system. It is the HTB-206 model.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Did you calibrate your setup with an SPL meter and Avia/Digital Video Essentials? This is always step 1.

Double and triple check the speaker wiring. Make sure there aren't any strands touching metal (they'll short out and turn the unit off). Make sure you are using "small" as the setting for the speakers as well.

Lastly, it could be too little stereo in too much room. How big is the room and how loud do you have it?

Sorny

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wiring was all good. We read the manual again and found that on this model if you change any wiring you have to do it with the receiver unplugged(I think it saves settings) and it may be that way on all units. So we unplugged the receiver for about 10-15 seconds plugged it back up and it was working like a champ.

Anyways thanks for your response. I am gonna hang out around here and try to learn a few things. I have a few friends that have great setups(all professionally done and they don't care or appreciate it at all). I am just a poor college student that will graduate in about a year. Eventually I want to build me a movie room. I probably won't post again for some time...thanks to anyone that read this and/or responded.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You should never hook anything to a receiver at all with it plugged in. Always unplug the power for every device hooked up to change any wire.

Sorny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.