AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my receiver standing on its side after I got a Sony CRT HDTV that took up extra space. After a week, I noticed that something inside of the receiver was making a hum sound. It may have been causing interference on my TV too. Later I moved the receiver to the floor, right side up, and now it doesn't make the noise anymore.

Does anybody have any idea what would be humming inside of my receiver? I thought it wouldn't matter since it is all solid state electronics inside.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Transformers can hum. The changing magnetic field will stress the metal. Generally it's not a problem, but perhaps orienting it the way you did increased the audibility of the vibration.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I was just worried that something was about to blow. I'll try standing it up on the other side.

I did see some discoloration on my TV at the time though. I wonder how large the magnetic field on these transformers are...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTFTW /forum/post/19642821

Ok, I was just worried that something was about to blow. I'll try standing it up on the other side.

If a receiver makes noise standing up on one side, I wouldn't stand it up on the other side, either.

Quote:
I did see some discoloration on my TV at the time though. I wonder how large the magnetic field on these transformers are...

If you're seeing discoloration on your TV, you definitely do not want what's causing the discoloration to be near your TV.

It sounds to me like it's time to find a new equipment stand so that everything fits properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.