AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi,

I currently live in Texas and I have a Sharp TV that is capable of handling both NTSC and PAL signals. I am planning to buy a 7.2 AVR (HK or Yamaha). In near future I might have to relocate to EU or Asia where the standard signal for TV's is PAL. 

I believe that the AVRs do not really do any conversion of signal (NTSC PAL) and just transmit them. However just to be on the safe side I wanted to know do the AVRs of US only support NTSC signals? Does the inputs signal format really matter for the AVR? Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I have run PAL signals through a Yamaha RX-V2700 without any problems.  I even had it convert from analog component to digital HDMI with no problems.

Ideally, you will wait until you know if you are moving or not before you buy, and if you are going to move, buy in the country where you will be.  This is also because you are going to have issues with the power to the receiver, even if you do buy a unit that can deal with PAL.  Of course, you can get a power converter, but it is easier (and more efficient) if you do not have to have such a converter.

Before you buy anything, download the manual and read it to see if the unit can deal with PAL or not.  I believe that Yamaha receivers can deal with PAL, but you will want to verify this for whatever model you are considering before you buy it, by downloading the manual and searching it for PAL.

If you are wanting a receiver for $700, this is what I would buy:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1020.html

If you are wanting a receiver for $1500, this is what I would buy:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA3020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A3020.html

Both are discounted because they are last year's models.  Both can deal with PAL (see manuals, which you can download from Crutchfield or from Yamaha directly).

As for your idea that AVRs do not convert video, that is not true of higher model units, which have various video processing capabilities.  Only a very low end unit cannot do any video processing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts