AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm very new here, and I have a question about SP BS22LR. My old NAD receiver that I was pairing with these just died, and now I'm thinking of getting a new stereo receiver for SP BS22LR. I am thinking of these speakers as my temporary solution until I have the budget to buy a more serious pair, but what would be an appropriate receiver to drive these sufficiently? I also have a sony Blu-ray player which plays SACD's delivering DSD signal via HDMI, but my hunch is that it's not worth investing in a receiver which can take DSD via HDMI, unless I have better speakers. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I think you are correct. It is often recommended that you spend about 1/4-1/5 of your total budget on a reciever and 3/4-4/5 on speakers + subwoofer. A great receiver cannot make pour speakers sound great! The other thing about reciever is the technology changes rapidly, so 5 years from now the cheap AND the expensive recievers will both likely be outdated!

So you need to think about what your budget might be when you upgrade your speakers and then spend accordingly. For instance, if you think you want to spend $1000-1,200.00 on speakers/sub, then a 2-300 dollar reciever fits your budget. Accessories for less have great deals on last year models and factory refurbished rec. Remember, factory refurbish does NOT mean there was anything wrong with it, just that it was returned and re tested to meet specs. I have bought a couple recievers from A4less and they have worked flawlessly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Elihawk, thanks for your thoughtful and wise advice. I think I will probably invest $1000 on speakers down the road, but considering these pioneers were so inexpensive (sounds good for the price), I am looking at $200-300 budget range for a receiver. I've also noticed there's hardly any option for a stereo receiever with hdmi input, and as I'm not much interested in multi-channel system, a decent stereo receiver would still be fine (i could also consider DAC with hdmi input later).
I mainly listen to classical and jazz, and i'm not convinced of a surround system. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
A surround receiver has a lot of benefits over a stereo receiver.

- Bass management
- Room correction software
- Expandability
- HDMI connections
- Volume of sales means lower prices
- Built in DAC

The Denon AVR-X1100 from www.accessories4less.com would be my recommendation. If you still want an 2-channel integrated/stereo receiver, then go with the Cambridge Audio Azur 351a for $299 at that same site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Transmaniacon, Thanks for your recommendation. Certainly Denon AVR-X1100 seems like a bargain for a receiver with so many features. It seems like it will support anything that you feed to it :)
I will also look at Cambridge Audio as an option...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts