AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get some opinions as to which way my Dad should go, he wants/needs to replace his current AV receiver with another receiver or a processor. He has some very good AV pieces in a nice dedicated HT room. He's always had connection and interface issues with his Sony DR7100 A/V receiver and his Mitsubisi DLP 73" TV. Seems the HDMI output on the receiver won't communicate with his TV. Many have tried to get the handshake including an ISF tech and ALL have failed. So of course he worked around the problem, Sat Box, Oppo BD83 and Toshiba A3 all go directly to the TV via HDMI and then opticals out to the receiver for DD & DTS garden variety only. He is using the Multi Ch out's to his Oppo for hi-rez audio directly into the Sony receiver so he can play his SACD's and DVD-A's as well. I might add he never even heard the Sony's built in 7.1 Ch 170W amps because he's using an Outlaw Audio 7.1 Ch 100W amp, I think it's model 7125 and Outlaw Bass Mgt. unit to power up his Polk LSi15's and RT80 rears and his (2) Polk DSW 10" subs. He also has a Polk Center Ch. and 2 small Infinity on the sides to complete his 7.1 system. A very nice setup.

OK that was the build up now the issue. He's thinking of buying either a processor (Integra 9.9) or a receiver like an Onkyo 876. I think since he just wants to get the handshake thing working with his TV and would pass through all 1080P / i video sources buying an Integra processor would be major overkill? Hw will keep the Outlaw Amp in the loop in either case, he likes the amp. He wants all HDMI 1.3 connections so most even modest receivers would pass the signals through without the need to precess anything. He wants the audio side of the equation to match his nice sounding speaker system as well.

His Sony receiver has terrible user interface and connectability issues. Dad just wants to keep it all simple (all digital) and elimintate the wire clutter. What recommendations would you give him processor or receiver an why? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Well if and when it ever comes out, the UMC1 from Emotiva would fit the bill for his setup. Until then as long as he is using that amp from Outlaw it would seem one of the new AVR's that don't cost a fortune and has pre-outs would also work quite well. There are some members here that are using the Yamaha 665 for just that purpose or the 765 also. The amp sections of these are questionable but he won't be using them so it doesn't matter. Of course there are also last years models from Denon like the 2809 that would also work quite well. The Pioneer Elites SC-05/07 can be had for very good prices also. There are a lot of options he has without breaking the bank while he waits for that EMO processor. Good luck and happy hunting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.