AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted this in the receiver and amps section but i am reposting to the "theory, setup, and chat" thinking this might be a better place to ask.....

I am trying to pick a receiver to drive the speakers i just purchased..

so for speakers:

i just bought 3 B&W FPM6s for front right, front left, and center....

i bought a B&W PV1 sub

and for the two rears i bought two B&W FPM2s

so the B&W literature says that the power handling on these speakers is as follows:

FPM6 = 25W – 150W into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

FPM2 = 25W – 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

ok so far so good.... so now i just need a reciever... i was looking a the HK AVR 635 and the Denon 3805, In looking at the receivers i was trying to match the output in wats per speaker/channel to the power handling of the B&W speakers I detailed above

The HK site says that the HK636 output is as follows:

Front L & R Channels : 75 Watts per channel @

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wouldn't worry. The receiver might call upon all it's power for a few microseconds during a particularly dynamic music or movie passage but that doesn't translate into much average power. Most people listen to music or movies at only a few watts average power, the rest is for dynamics that are very short in duration.

Actually higher power amps are less likely to clip and harm your speakers than low power amps that operate closer to their maximum specifications. I think you are OK with the Denon receiver, enjoy.

MT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.