AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have two Klipsch Heresy ii's right now that I'm running by themselves in stereo. When I play them, they tend to get played pretty loud for extended periods of time(~3 hours), and my receiver(s) overheat. I'm using 12 gauge wire, and banana clips, so I don't think the wire is the problem. However, I've managed to cause two receivers(Sony V333ES and Onkyo HT-R500) to overheat on multiple occasions. I know they are both fairly old receivers but I feel like they aren't the cause of the problem. The speakers are rated for 100W @8Ohms. The Sony amp is rated for 110W @8Ohms and I'm not sure about the Onkyo but I know it is close to [email protected]

So, my question is: Am I trying to push these receivers over their limits when i play the heresy's very loud? Should I look for a standalone two-channel amp for them(maybe one rated for more than [email protected])? Or just look for a new receiver entirely?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
If i remember correctly those speakers are easily driven,shouldnt cause overheating.But i do know that onkyo's run very hot normally.Is this something that just recently began occurring?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Since it is happening with 2 receivers, one of which is a SonyES unit, I'd start looking at at least 1 of the speakers maybe having a problem. VC getting hot and shorting or something.......

As another poster said, those are very efficient speakers and don't need a lot of power to get loud.

However there is always the possibility that you are straining the receivers.

BTW, do they turn right back on after a quick power button cycling?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 /forum/post/18294193

If i remember correctly those speakers are easily driven,shouldnt cause overheating.But i do know that onkyo's run very hot normally.Is this something that just recently began occurring?

This has been a recurring problem for about two months now. The speakers were sitting in storage where my parents live, and i brought them back to college with me this semester. Basically every time I've ever had a party the amp has overheated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/18294466

Are you blocking the air vents in any way? Do you live at high altitude? (less heat transfer to thin air). I've found that placing my amps on small blocks to raise them up off the shelf helps air flow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18294619

Could also be a wiring problem. Do you have wiring going through the ceiling? Perhaps a nail penetrated it somewhere? Do you have clean connections at the posts at both ends (ie no stray wires)?

In response to both of you, I am not blocking the vents in any way, and it is a very simple setup. I have the receiver sitting on my desk, by itself, with maybe 6 feet of wire connecting to one of the speakers and 10 feet of wire to the other speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/18294562

Since it is happening with 2 receivers, one of which is a SonyES unit, I'd start looking at at least 1 of the speakers maybe having a problem. VC getting hot and shorting or something.......

As another poster said, those are very efficient speakers and don't need a lot of power to get loud.

However there is always the possibility that you are straining the receivers.

BTW, do they turn right back on after a quick power button cycling?

This is of course never what someone wants to hear, but if it was a problem with one of my speakers, how would I figure that out?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The one way to test is get a pair of speakers from one of your friends, connect them up and crank 'em up. If they play along with the system you'll know its your speakers. Easy and quick, although you may find you'll have to buy new speakers or get those repaired. Heresy's I think I would try to get those fixed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay well one last question. if something actually is wrong with my speakers, am i doing more harm to them by playing them?

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
If you're not hearing any distortion, then more likely the harm is to your AVR then to the speakers themselves, although hopefully the AVR is shutting down in time as to not cause any damage. You've got a really nice set of speakers there though so just have a Klipsch authorized repair center or good audio repair shop take a look at them sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You could run a full frequency sweep test through your system and listen for obvious distortion. For example, if a driver is blown, you might notice it with a full sweep.

Some people suggest using a ohm meter to check for proper current flow. I forget what the exact procedure is.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwilli1 /forum/post/18296326

This is of course never what someone wants to hear, but if it was a problem with one of my speakers, how would I figure that out?

Do what phantom says, try another pair of speakers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts