AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
front runner is marantz sr6003. What others should I consider? I have a monitor audio 5.0 set-up with rs6s. Some threads I read say that most receivers will have plenty of power to push them to thier potetional. Some threads read like I should probably add an amp. I want one that is hdmi 1.3 and all the newest codecs. thanks Joe

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, your nightmare is only beginning because you will get many advices all of which will contradict one another and will confuse you more than anything
That being said, I am in a somewhat similar situation as you although a minor difference. I have my receiver picked, my amplifier picked, now I am getting the RS6 and its corresponding centre channel. My receiver choice I have is the Yamaha RX-V663 (for an incredible cheap price) and paired it with a Rotel 5 channel amplifier (RMB-1075) with the RS6 to come in February!! Many say that speakers are not hard to push to their full potential and a seperate amplifier is not required but decided I wanted to go that route. Rather than spending the money on a RX-V1900 which will become absolete in a year or two (as new features will come out), I figured, might as well get a cheaper a/v receiver with the pre-out and then pay for the seperate power. This way, when HDMI Y.Y comes out or whatever else comes along, its easier to justify swapping the cheap a/v for a new one
That being said, for me, the 663 had enough HDMI for what I needed, had the features I was looking and...the price was right!!.......

Best of luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It is easy to get wrapped up in all the decoding, upscaling, etc.. I have a pioneer 720p plasma so I dont think I really need any upscaling. I have a blu ray but it doesnt have any of the new audio features so I would need a receiver that does.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with you. You don't need a receiver that does the upscaling and neither one that does the new sound fields HOWEVER, most new receivers do decode the new codecs and the price of RX-V663 is so low that it is pretty hard to imagine someone buying a receiver that doesn't do the new codecs. This way, you have a new receiver that will allow you to take advantage of what your blu ray player will bitstream to your receiver. If you already had a receiver that was fairly recent and expensive and was wondering if you had to replace it for one that does the new codecs, I would have said, maybe you could wait....but since you don't, just go for it

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstockov /forum/post/15435211

front runner is marantz sr6003. What others should I consider? I have a monitor audio 5.0 set-up with rs6s. Some threads I read say that most receivers will have plenty of power to push them to thier potetional. Some threads read like I should probably add an amp. I want one that is hdmi 1.3 and all the newest codecs. thanks Joe

The SR6003 should be fine. But if you are worried why not go with a Pre/Pro and Amp?

CD

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstockov /forum/post/15435651

Thanks for the reply. It is easy to get wrapped up in all the decoding, upscaling, etc.. I have a pioneer 720p plasma so I dont think I really need any upscaling. I have a blu ray but it doesnt have any of the new audio features so I would need a receiver that does.

What Blu-ray could you possibly have that doesn't have the new audio codecs? Every Blu-ray player has the new audio codecs.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstockov /forum/post/15437797

I think its the sony bp-200 something like that I will look tonight.. one of the early ones.

I am pretty sure every BD player ever made so far decodes the new audio codecs in the unit themselves.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/15445782

I am pretty sure every BD player ever made so far decodes the new audio codecs in the unit themselves.

Actually, a lot of Blu-ray players cannot decode DTS-HD Master Audio. Until a year ago, none could as I recall.

TrueHD, on the other hand, is decoded by almost every Blu-ray player.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.