AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited some Magnaplanar speakers from my father and I'm about to start building a surround setup for a new DLP. I believe the documentation stated that they are 5 ohm speakers. I'd like to incorporate these speakers as the right/left front channels. I'd like to build a 7.1 channel set up - are there any integrated receiver/amp options that could handle this? I was looking at 8 ohm/100W speakers for the rest of the channels.

Any recommendations for receivers with this setup? I'd like to spend $1000 on the receiver if possible.

Thanks in advance

~John

·
Registered
433 Posts
Those are not the easiest speakers to drive especially in a medium size room or larger and at near reference volume. The problem is the speaker rating from receiver manufacturers are not that accurate. I would say no less than a Denon 4308 or comparable.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Which maggies did you get? It might be possible to drive up to 1.6QR with a good receiver. Most maggies go down to 4 ohm. That is not a huge load compared to speakers that go down to 1 or 2 ohm, but still, an entry or mid-level receiver will most likely not be able to swing this. It is also strongly recommended by just about all users I have heard of to get the Magneplanar center channel. Probably your best bet will be to get something like an Onkyo 805 or Pio 94, or even better Marantz 8002 and use a three channel external amp for the LCR while using the receiver just for the surround channels. This will still be about the same as one of the big Denons in price and you can always keep the three channel amp.

Till

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Maggies are hungry speakers and few receivers will drive them appropriately. I'd go with something like a Yammie 663/Emotiva XPA-5 combo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts