AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to justify a purchase of either the Panasonic or Toshiba receivers. Thanks to the American Express Blue Card, I would have 60 days to price match with any price lower than what I pay including internet prices. What do people think, will prices come down significantly in the next 60 days?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sixty days is a pretty slim window to predict. I have spoken to some 'industry people' that think we could see some of these 'first generation' receivers selling for around $300 by Christmas or shortly after. Those predictions are only guesses though......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks to a post I saw in another thread, I just ordered a DST-3000 for $450 from VideoOnly's San Mateo (CA) store ( www.videoonly.com ). That's new in box with no commitments.

They don't do web sales, but the guy I talked to (John Holmes) says he can ship anywhere.

This is the best deal I've found, and I'd be surprised to see it for much less in the next 60 days or so. But if anyone *does* know of a better deal (especially on the Panny), please post details - I won't be picking up the box until this weekend, so it's not to late to back out...

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree 60 days might not be enough. You might want to hold out until that window includes two weeks after christmas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
FredV,

Sorry, but "John Holmes" is not just a joke name some guy on the phone gave you? I've read the other posts regarding Video Only, and that the San Mateo, CA store will sell and ship the DTS-3000 for around $450. I'm certainly interested, but one post mentioned they will only do so if you send them a money order, and now you say you talked with John Holmes, so my "rip off" spider sense is tingling! Can you give me any info to ease my suspicions? Have you dealt with Video Only before (or anyone else care to chime in, plz?). Since the $450 is about $250 less than anywhere locally I can find the unit, I have real concerns about what they might be selling. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Video Only is a real chain of discount AV stores in the West. The $450 isn't a special deal from Big John down in San Mateo, that's the price that they have posted on the shelf for the item. I was suspicious as well so I dropped into a Seattle area store and confirmed the price and the fact that no programming committment is required. I don't know how they're doing it, but they're doing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
And yes, John Holmes is the guy at the San Mateo Video Only. Or you can talk to Russ. Just picked up my Toshiba last Thursday.

------------------

Tho!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Boy! You west coast guys certainly are lucky. Here in the rustbelt Best Buy and Circuit City ARE the discount video places! The DTS-3000 is $699.00, requires activiation, and they totally refuse to dicker on the price, purely a take it our leave it deal. If Video Only is selling them at $450 and making a profit, BB & CC are certainly making a pretty penney.

Trouble is that I have an itch to buy that wont go away! Must resist....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.