AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if anyone knows a quick answer if my receiver is shot as far as the fiber optic inputs go. from PS3 i get light when fiber optic cables are plugged in. when plugged into any of the 4 fiber optic inputs on the receiver i get no light. obviously there is something wrong, but is there a possibility something is not turned on on the receiver or will it always emit light through the cable when one is plugged in. if there is something wrong is that something that is repairable at a moderate cost?

ive never used this receiver before and it is probably 5 years old. Sony STR-DE997 7.1 receiver

thanks for your time

·
Registered
382 Posts
Light does not come out of optical input jacks. They're like black holes that suck in all light; or red SPDIF light at least.

Have you tried to use it yet? Checked any assignment settings, etc.? Or is there something else making you think it's broken...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i tried to use it.

ran HDMI from PS3 to tv, and optical to receiver but got no sound from the receiver and tried a bunch of different settings

is it possible the optical 'bay' or what have you is fried for all the 4 jacks?

·
Registered
382 Posts
OK good!
I will leave the reply I just typed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine45 /forum/post/17030806

theres light out of my TV in the plug, and light out of my PS3.

im not a big techie incase you couldnt tell already

It's OK, but those are both outputs on the TV and PS3 which is why you see the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine45 /forum/post/17030810

yeah i tried to use it.

ran HDMI from PS3 to tv, and optical to receiver but got no sound from the receiver and tried a bunch of different settings

is it possible the optical 'bay' or what have you is fried for all the 4 jacks?

So I guess you have checked that the receiver is actually trying to "use" whichever jack you're connecting to (assignment setting, input source, things like that)...

Is the PS3 set to output audio over optical instead of HDMI? (Sorry, I don't know if its light output at the jack turns on/off depending on that setting.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts