AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a set of Orb Audio Speakers (5.1 mod 2 speakers). Im shopping for a receiver due to the fact that the one I had died...actually, I have had my last two receivers die on me. The first was an Onkyo and the most recent was a Denon.

Im now shopping for a new AVR and would like something easy to use with good sound. It must also have a zone 2 for outside speakers.

Im looking at the Yamaha RX-V667 and RX-V661 My budget is around $350.00

Any suggestions??

Here are the Specs on the speakers
orbaudio.com/specifications.aspx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20937650

Before buying a 3rd receiver, have you done any troubleshooting to determine if your current setup configuration isn't the cause of the receivers dieing on you? What model Denon and when purchased?

I should specify...

The denon (avr790) was flickering when watching TV...I tried changing the HDMI port, changing the HDMI cable and got the same problem. Everything was fine when I bypassed the AVR by hooking the cable box directly to the TV

The onkyo had problems where it would power off on its own...

I guess im just having bad luck. I received full reimbursement for both AVR's and am now on my third...

Back to my original question...any suggestions>?

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat1980 /forum/post/20942220

Back to my original question...any suggestions>?

Yeah - take jd's advice and find out what is killing your receivers. One dead AVR is coincidence - two is not IMO.

·
Premium Member
88,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat1980 /forum/post/20942220

The denon (avr790) was flickering when watching TV...I tried changing the HDMI port, changing the HDMI cable and got the same problem. Everything was fine when I bypassed the AVR by hooking the cable box directly to the TV

The onkyo had problems where it would power off on its own...

What you experienced with the cable box was likely a very common HDMI handshake issue and was a problem with the box, not the 790 so there was likely nothing wrong with the 790 and bypassing it is the standard solution as cable/sat boxes are often not designed to be connected to a receiver.

The most common cause for an AVR shutting down is a speaker wire strand from one post touching another post or strand so there was also likely nothing wrong with the Onkyo as well.

It's unfortunate you weren't able to post your issues prior to returning these units as we likely could have saved you the hassle of returning them. So first recommendation would be why not replace the models you tried with another unit rather than assuming the whole brand is bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts