AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am just getting started on upgrading from my HTIB system. I have already decided/bought most of the speakers and I am looking for a good receiver to match, preferably under $600.

Fronts - Primus P362s

Center - Primus PC350

Sub - PS-212

Rears - Unknown (P162's perhaps? Suggestions?)

I have been looking at Onkyos, Denons, and HK's from eBay. I don't mind other brands as long as the receiver has 7.1 support and Audyssey or similar. I am primarily looking for the best sound possible for this price - video upconverting and the like are not important since most of my content will be HD over HDMI (games, Blu) anyway. Proper HDMI v1.3 would be my only strict requirement.

It seems like the HK 254 from their eBay store is a very good deal. Will that receiver be able to drive these speakers properly, or would the 354 be a better match? I would be able to save quite a bit of cash going that route, though I would probably lose Audyssey support.

The Denon AVR-1910 and the Onkyo TX-SR607 seem to be good mid-range receivers as well. Would either of these be a better choice? Before the remote problem is brought up, I have a Harmony so the Denon remote wouldn't be used.

This will connect to a LN52A630.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The 254 is a steal right now and I would go that route. The 354 adds more power but it isn't worth the extra cash. H/K actually puts out their power numbers. Unlike companies like Yamaha that advertise much higher power than they can actually do.

Power between the 3 will be similar and plenty to drive your speakers to loud volumes. Your speakers are pretty efficient (93db) and are really easy to drive.

The 162s would be good rear speakers. They will be the best match sonically which is important for multi-channel music. Not as crucial for movies, but still nice.

·
The Village Idiot
9,828 Posts
+1 on the 254 being a steal - Harman Audio has them on a buy it now with a make an offer. Look for the View: All Items | Auction | Buy It Now click on the Buy It Now link IF its there. If not - wait a few minutes or so - it will return - click on the make an offer and offer them $220 - seems its set up to accept that amount - less will be rejected. The bonus is free shipping.

The other receiver thats back in some numbers is the HK 247 that can be had at auction for under $200 - it has the same amp section as the 254 - they are identical in specs and you say you don't care about video processing anyway - and thats the main difference besides only 2 HDMI on the 247.

I have the 247 in my bedroom setup driving a pair of Infinity IL40s - Beta C360 center and Beta 20 surrounds. It has no problem driving them to high volumes should I want to. And yeah, the IL40s and Betas are a perfect match - both use the same CMMD drivers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input!

I will probably stick with the 254 vs. 247 because 3 HDMI would be convenient and would eliminate an HDMI switch I am using.

The power ratings do bother me, even if fudged. 50W on the 254 seems like a LOT less than 90W per channel for the Onkyo. Should the real power (all channels driven I assume) on the Onkyo, for example, be closer to 50W or 75W like the HK 354? Trying to get a feel for how much the numbers are inflated, and if the 254 is more comparable to a Onkyo 50x or 60x.

What do I lose by going with the 254 instead of a new 607 or 1910? Is Audyssey or any other missing feature/codec worth the extra money? And the problems with the 254's have been solved, right?

Is there anything on the horizon worth waiting for? I have about a month or two to decide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.