AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that someone can give me a good recomendation for a receiver to go with my new panasonic 58s1 plasma. unfortunately it only has an optical digital output. the only thing that i have hooked up is my ps3 which is used for all my dvd, bd, and gaming needs. i mostly watch sd tv but want the sound to be louder than the stock speakers while watching and i want something that sounds good with my games and movies also. i am limited by a tight budget of about 250.00-300.00 due to a recent layoff. i would also love to have a viera link type of function if possible. i dont know too much about new receivers or what i need, ive read alot of the forums here and have a very basic idea of whats needed but thought i would ask anyway. any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsaprl /forum/post/18206138

I am hoping that someone can give me a good recomendation for a receiver to go with my new panasonic 58s1 plasma. unfortunately it only has an optical digital output. the only thing that i have hooked up is my ps3 which is used for all my dvd, bd, and gaming needs. i mostly watch sd tv but want the sound to be louder than the stock speakers while watching and i want something that sounds good with my games and movies also. i am limited by a tight budget of about 250.00-300.00 due to a recent layoff. i would also love to have a viera link type of function if possible. i dont know too much about new receivers or what i need, ive read alot of the forums here and have a very basic idea of whats needed but thought i would ask anyway. any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dear chrsaprl,

I would recomend the Denon avr1610 which has HDMI inputs and outputs.

This way you can connect your ps3 to it through HDMI and decode blu-ray's High bit Rate audio formats. Your TV can be connected to it since it has an optical input also and pretty much any other equipment you may presently have for audio and video.

Through it you can listen to all these pieces of equipment but you will also need speakers which you can buy used and, in the future, when things get better you can upgrade them to a better grade and so on.

All the best,

Michael

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsaprl /forum/post/18206138

...unfortunately it only has an optical digital output.

AFAIK, all TV's only have an optical output as the best audio that an HDTV tuner can provide is DD 5.1 which optical is capable of transferring to an AVR. Is your budget for just the AVR or are you looking for a HTIB that includes the AVR and speakers for that budget? If just for the AVR, then along with the Denon 1610 or 590 suggestion (read more in the first post of the Denon 1610/590 Owners Thread ), you might want to also consider the Energy Take 5 classic speaker setup which gets good marks for entry level speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts