AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a pair of DCM KX-10 Series 2 speakers, that were being powered by an old Fisher receiver/amp, but I had the speakers cranked for a while one day and it overheated and won't turn on anymore for me. I got it for free so isn't much of a loss to me, but now I need to replace it.

Any recommendations on a receiver that could power these and not overheat and doesn't cost a fortune? Thanks for any help, I'm kinda clueless when it comes to these kinda things.

Also what is the difference between an integrated stereo amplifier and a stereo receiver, or is there no difference?

Thanks again

·
Registered
498 Posts
Are they 4 ohm speakers? Should say on the back 4 or 8 ohm. I think they are 4 from what I could find online. If that's the case and you like to crank the volume, you need to get a 4 ohm stable amp or receiver.

Basic difference, a stereo receiver has a built in am/fm tuner. Integrated amp does not. I'd be willing to bet most integrated amp are built better than the average stereo receiver.

What's you budget?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speakers are 8 ohm 175 watt, I've researched them myself and I've found some places that say they're 4 ohm, but last I checked on my actual speakers it said 8 ohm. I mean my budget is whatever it needs to be, just so that the amplifier can handle the speakers, hopefully that doesnt mean 300 dollars =/. Also, in that case, would it be a better idea to get an amplifier vs a receiever? Im looking for one that would have an AUX connection because I play music through my laptop connected to the amplifier by an RCA cable

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have dcm kx 10 first series and i power them with a yamaha rx1050 rs 110 wpc and they are over powered at high volume :) also just to note i tested the ohm load with a meter and mine test at 2.9 ohms you would be advised to do the same otherwise most recievers will overheat if not 2 ohm stable

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
An ohmmeter reading is the DC resistance of the speaker which IS NOT the impedance of the speaker.

The difference between a receiver and an integrated amplifier is that a receiver has an FM tuner section.

I would suggest the Harman-Kardon 3490 or 3390 stereo receiver, or the NAD 326 or 325 integrated amplifier.

I would recommend NOT getting a Sherwood or Yamaha amp or receiver if you want decent sound quality.

There is a good chance that the old receiver just blew a fuse, which can easily be replaced; but be sure you use the correct EXACT replacement fuse.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-49X900E, Onkyo TX-NR787, DCM KX Series 2 & 2 Panasonic speakers, 2 Dayton Audio subs
401 Posts
Official DCM KX speaker series discussion thread

I've created an Official DCM KX speaker series discussion thread and I encourage everyone who owns, uses, and/or is knowledgeable about DCM KX speakers and/or subwoofers to subscribe to that thread. Like this thread's OP, I am looking for a recommendation for an AVR or amplifier that will make my DCM KX series speakers sound their best. Actually, to be more precise, I'm trying to find out what an amplifier's **specifications** would be if it was designed to make my five DCM KX speakers sound their best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.