AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Elite VSX-50 because it was time to upgrade to video upconversion, HDMI and I was very excited to see that it has Airplay built-in allowing me to stream iTunes off my Mac laptop. However, I am very unhappy with the following 2 glitches - are these universal to all newer receivers?

1. I cannot listen to music unless the TV is also on. The Pioneer rep said this is due to the HDCP protocol. Unacceptable in my mind - more wear and tear on my TV plus energy burned? This can't be the case with all of these HDMI receivers.

2. I can't watch a video source and listen to a different audio source. I had a Denon 12 years ago that had this feature and it was, as Borat sez, very nice.

So I'd like to have a receiver that addresses both of these issues (the 1st moreso the 2nd as I could live with that) and talks nice with iTunes. I listen to predominately music - I could care less how much the receiver makes the missiles in a Michael Bay movie sizzle (and I wouldn't be caught dead watching a film from said director).

HELP - any suggestions?

I just bought a pair of Ascend Sierra 1s for my mains but pipe dream is to own a pair of Maggies so preouts on the receiver would be a plus. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Many TVs have a "screen-off" function, meaning that, although the screen is "on", the screen displays nothing. I don't have much experience with these newer receivers, but my old VSX-94TXH (Elite before the SC series) outputs the source sound when the TV is off, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know about the second question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW, I bought a VSX-50 this past week, and have been really happy with it. But my connection needs are really straight forward - 2 HDMI device inputs for audio/video, and video only HDMI TV out. I wanted great sound, airplay, ipod integration, and good quality and felt like I got all that for a good price. Even bought a Denon 2112 and compared it side by side at home. I felt the Pioneer MCACCC held it's own against Audyssey, and seemed much more configurable for my needs. But I'll admit there is a lot you can change, and it can be confusing.

But I've never had to split audio and video from different sources, or get audio from my TV before. Like I said, I've always just used my TV as a monitor and not a source. I have used my 2nd zone features in the past to watch TV inside, and listen to music on the patio.... Plan on using my VSx for that too once I get some outdoor speakers wired up outside.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
1) I have apple TV running to my receiver by HDMI and the TV doesn’t have to be on for me to listen to music. I’ve never heard of that before. If the audio is going to the receiver first I don't see why the TV would have to be on. I have a Denon so no that’s not universal.

2) You can’t do that with HDMI. If you run a component cable and an audio cable then you should be able to switch the video to another source.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
If you can't listen to anything without the TV being on, it is probably because you have CEC turned on, turn the CEC off.

Also, you can(on every receiver) put it on a video source, then switch it to an audio only source(as in CD) and the video will stay where it was.

If that means you have to hook your source up twice...so be it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts