AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sony STR-DG920 seems to have a bad HDMI port and I would rather invest in a new receiver as opposed to repairing it. Here is what I need in a receiver:

Airplay

2nd zone capability

Wireless capability preferred but not required

This will drive an Episode 500-ST 3 channel sound bar, rear speakercraft in-walls, an Episode triple8 subwoofer, and I hope to add an SVS subwoofer as well. Second zone would be some basic Yamaha outdoor speakers. I would have it connected to a 60" Samsung 7100 and a Sony Blu Ray. I would use it mostly for movies, TV, and Music...no gaming.

I have been looking hard at the:

Denon AVR x3000

Integra DTR 30.5

Yamaha (still not sure what model)

I realize I may need to go the refurbished route to hit my price range, please help because I would would like to pull the trigger soon and I respect everyone's opinion here.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Check crutchfield or onecall . Com they have some yamaha advantage 1020 or onkyo 818 for around 650 to 699.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The X3000 gets my vote as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I have been leaning towards the X3000 too, but some of the pricing on the Yamaha's have looked great..although I am not familiar with Yamaha's at all, and the RX A2030 is way out of my range, even refurbished.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One question, I want a receiver that can play one source inside the house such as a Blu Ray or. Directv, and a second source to zone 2, my outside speakers simultaneously. Can this second source be airplay or Pandora? My favorite part of summer is sitting out on my patio enjoying some bourbon and music without keeping anyone else from having to listen to the same thing inside. I don't know if this has a name, but so many receivers say they have powered zone 2 but I hear some won't accept separate sources.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The yamaha 7065/773/820 and above will send all analog/usb and network inputs (including airplay etc.) to zone 2 as stereo regardless of what zone 1 is doing. Using party mode even hdmi/digital sources can be routed to zone 2 with zone 1 also playing the same stereo. The 7065 just went up $100. About sold out or look at refurbished at accessories4less.com. Model 775 adds pretty much only mhl to hdmi input.

The yamaha 2030 is a few steps up. It has not only auto subwoofer eq, but a 4 band manual sub peq also. The other brands have that feature nowhere. Auto eq rarely gets it perfect. Compared to the X4000 it holds it's own.

·
Premium Member
91,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drballard33  /t/1525767/receiver-recommendation-under-600/0_100#post_24573736

One question, I want a receiver that can play one source inside the house such as a Blu Ray or. Directv, and a second source to zone 2, my outside speakers simultaneously. Can this second source be airplay or Pandora? My favorite part of summer is sitting out on my patio enjoying some bourbon and music without keeping anyone else from having to listen to the same thing inside. I don't know if this has a name, but so many receivers say they have powered zone 2 but I hear some won't accept separate sources.

Zone 2 is "separate" source while Zone B is generally simply the same audio playing on the main zone FL/FR speakers. The X3000 is actually one of a handful of AVRs on the market today that can pass a "separate" HDMI PCM 2.0 (as well as optical/digital) signal to Zone 2 which is different than what is playing in the main zone. It also has an "All Zone Stereo" mode which is similar to the Yamaha "Party mode" and will play the same source to Zone 2 as well. And yes, it can pass either Airplay or Pandora to Zone 2 while another source is playing in the main zone as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts