AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some recommendations on a new receiver under $500. I would be using it 80% music and 20% Home theater. I am planning on getting 2X Polk M70s, 2X Polk M50s, Polk CS2 Series II center and a good Sub in $500 price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy /forum/post/0


I would like to get some recommendations on a new receiver under $500. I would be using it 80% music and 20% Home theater. I am planning on getting 2X Polk M70s, 2X Polk M50s, Polk CS2 Series II center and a good Sub in $500 price range.

Do you need/want 3D capabilities? If so, then the new Pioneer 1120 is the very best option at $500.


If not, then take a look at last year's Denon 3310.


I run those same speakers with a Pioneer 1120, and it's a fantastic combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Palehorse. Since this will be my first receiver, i would future proof it by getting 3D enabled. I see lots of deals for Onkyo. are they good at that price point ? Does stereo music requires dedicated reciever or HT receiver will be sufficient ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy /forum/post/0


Thanks, Palehorse. Since this will be my first receiver, i would future proof it by getting 3D enabled. I see lots of deals for Onkyo. are they good at that price point ? Does stereo music requires dedicated reciever or HT receiver will be sufficient ?

The Onkyo's are ok at that price point; but, in my opinion, the Denons and Pioneers are much better. The only Onkyo's I'd personally ever consider are the 100x, 300x, or 500x series'... or their Integra cousins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts

Quote:
The Onkyo's are ok at that price point; but, in my opinion, the Denons and Pioneers are much better. The only Onkyo's I'd personally ever consider are the 100x, 300x, or 500x series'... or their Integra cousins.

Why do you think that Denon and Pioneer is better than say an Onkyo 708 or 808? (It seems like the 608 is the one with some problems.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg /forum/post/0


Why do you think that Denon and Pioneer is better than say an Onkyo 708 or 808? (It seems like the 608 is the one with some problems.)

Can you summarize what problems with the 608, and why the 708 and 808 do not have the same issues? Surely amps in the same family share a similar component architecture?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg /forum/post/0


Why do you think that Denon and Pioneer is better than say an Onkyo 708 or 808? (It seems like the 608 is the one with some problems.)

For one, I don't like my home theater components to REQUIRE a fan to stay cool... The failure rate of Onkyo's in recent years is simply unacceptable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
since I live in an appartment, my sound levels will be average at the maximum. Also I am not a fan of loud music. In that case, do i still need receivers like Pio 1120 or can I get something in the entry level ? I am assuming powerful receivers are needed for loud sound. please correct me if I am wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy /forum/post/19648326


since I live in an appartment, my sound levels will be average at the maximum. Also I am not a fan of loud music. In that case, do i still need receivers like Pio 1120 or can I get something in the entry level ? I am assuming powerful receivers are needed for loud sound. please correct me if I am wrong.

They will also have more features, more inputs, and generally better build quality. A cheaper receiver may have a smaller power supply causing it to work much harder than a receiver with a larger power supply to generate teh same amount of sound through the same speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts
^^^


not much... certainly less than 1 watt virtually all the time... any avr will easily do the job...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy /forum/post/19648326


since I live in an appartment, my sound levels will be average at the maximum. Also I am not a fan of loud music. In that case, do i still need receivers like Pio 1120 or can I get something in the entry level ? I am assuming powerful receivers are needed for loud sound. please correct me if I am wrong.

As others on here know better, a more powerful quality receiver is also going to give you better dynamic range at lower volumes. So, even though you won't be playing it at max volume, you will have better quality at low volumes.


I'm in the market now as well in the next price range up ( see thread ) and think you should find a lot of AVR options that meet your needs. I'd agree with the advice here to get an HDMI 1.4 (3D) receiver since you may want that down the road. If not, you can find some GREAT deals out there on HDMI 1.3 receivers since a lot of people are excluding them now that the 3D TV craze has hit the market. I've seen great Denon $2000 receivers, unopened, being sold for $800!


I have had several brands over the years (Sony, Onkyo, Denon & Yamaha) and the Denon's and Yamaha have been the brands that have frankly just given me zero problems. They have less features for the money and have had crappy confusing remotes, but I only look to replace them when their features become antiquated with my current needs.


Get the best quality/feature set in your $400ish budget and the AVR will last you that much longer. Or just buy one of my used non-HDMI receivers for a steal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjb123 /forum/post/19653704


As others on here know better, a more powerful quality receiver is also going to give you better dynamic range at lower volumes. So, even though you won't be playing it at max volume, you will have better quality at low volumes.

no. it will not... if the dynamics of the music/sound track aren't causing clipping in the amplification section (or overdriving the power supply) at his preferred listening level, a "more powerful receiver" will not yield a "better dynamic range"...


does anyone read the op's postings? "average listening level"... "apartment"... "doesn't like loud music".... again, he's rarely, if ever, using more than 1 watt...


there ARE some ridiculously good deals on previous models right now... no argument there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I have had the 1120 and Onkyo 608 and really liked them both. If I was thinking of adding and external amp or liked internet radio I would pick the 1120. The IPOD features are also great wiht the pioneer. I would go with the onkyo if you like a little more power and better bass managment options. I find I prefered the sound of the 608 by a little but it was close. Both are great options in your price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19653763


no. it will not... if the dynamics of the music/sound track aren't causing clipping in the amplification section (or overdriving the power supply) at his preferred listening level, a "more powerful receiver" will not yield a "better dynamic range"...


does anyone read the op's postings? "average listening level"... "apartment"... "doesn't like loud music".... again, he's rarely, if ever, using more than 1 watt...


there ARE some ridiculously good deals on previous models right now... no argument there...

Thanks ccotenj. But i missed to mention that I would need a good scaler as well coz i watch lotsa DVDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdperry /forum/post/19654585


I have had the 1120 and Onkyo 608 and really liked them both. If I was thinking of adding and external amp or liked internet radio I would pick the 1120. The IPOD features are also great wiht the pioneer. I would go with the onkyo if you like a little more power and better bass managment options. I find I prefered the sound of the 608 by a little but it was close. Both are great options in your price range.

a newbie question...what is bass management?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
93,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocrazy /forum/post/19655523


a newbie question...what is bass management?

That's what the AVR does to route low frequency audio (ie bass) to the subwoofer. The Onkyo uses Audyssey, Pioneer uses MCAAC, and Yamaha uses YPAO. Some allow individual speaker crossovers while other models use the same crossover to the sub for all speakers.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top