AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I moved to a new condo which has in wall speakers from previous owners. Speakers are arranged as below:

3 in master bedroom (1 in bathroom and 2 in bedroom)
5 in tv room
2 in kitchen
2 in dining room
2 in bedroom

I was thinking of buying a receiver with 3 zone capability and combining (dining room and kitchen), (two bedrooms) and (tv room) for each dedicated zone. If you think these speakers can be arranged in a different way please let me know.

Given that my knowledge in this area is close to zero :) I wanted to obtain your suggestion on what are the good choices for receivers, plus any additional accessory that I need to purchase so I can setup my speakers. My budget is around 1000.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The two bedrooms as a zone? I'm trying to think of when you'd need to have the same music in both bedrooms. What if you wanted to listen to something in your bedroom while you had a guest visiting and sleeping? Audio in the guest bedroom was overkill by the previous owner.

You need to find out what those speakers are all before you'll get a really good recommendation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense I am thinking of forgetting about the the ones in Guest bedroom. FYI I opened one of them and the model is Bay audio Model 565

·
Premium Member
90,354 Posts
So then if every speaker is a M565, then fairly easy to drive as 8-ohm, 87db. If you plan on powering all speakers with one AVR, you would need a 9CH AVR (ie. 5.1+Zone2 + Zone3). Several models include the Denon X5200W, Marantz SR7008 or SR7009, Pioneer SC-85 and Yamaha A2040. If you don't need the same source piped to all 3 zones, you may want to consider using (2) lower level 7CH AVRs instead (eg. Denon X2100W).

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would get a receiver to run your living room setup and one other zone. Then get a good stereo receiver and a speaker selector switch for the other zones. I wouldn't use a receiver to run all those zones. That's not what they are designed to do.

My only thinking for the second BR having speakers is that maybe he used it as an office?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

Speaker selector sounds interesting. Is there any down side to that? I dont want to blow up my receivers :) . Honestly I am mostly using 5 in tv room and 3 in dining room and really don care about the rest. It might be nice to add a speaker selector in case I want to enable the others.

What would be a good option in that case?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts