AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving into apartment soon, need a receiver for the living room once there. My current speakers are Klipsch RF-62ii towers and an RC-62ii center. I also have some Klipsch bookshelf and smaller klipsch speakers as surround, but likely won’t be bringing those into the apartment (running wire in an open room just isn’t that feasible). Won’t be using a sub (I figure the two towers will be plenty for a 1BR apartment). So 3.0 setup.

Devices will be the LG 65” B7P OLED, likely a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X/S, and possibly an Apple TV 4K. I currently use a Harmony Elite to control everything, and would like to use that with the new setup as well. Will be gaming in 4K/HDR on the two consoles, as well as watching 4K Blu Rays on the Xbox One X/S.

My current receiver is a Denon X1100W I got from A4L. Unfortunately doesn’t support HDCP 2.2, hence the need for a replacement. I’ve really enjoyed my current Denon, besides the fact that the front display went out after 3.5 years. Been happy with Audyssey and the menus, performance, etc.

I see the X1300W recommended a lot. My questions is, is that too much for my uses and a 3.0 setup? I figure without surround speakers or a sub, room correction software won’t be as important, and I also won’t be doing any kind of multi-room audio or anything. I plan to use it with the listed setup in the apartment for around 3 years. Down the line when I’m in a house (3-4 years from now), I’ll probably go for an Atmos setup, but will likely be buying a new receiver then anyways.

Also, since it’s an apartment, I will likely be doing headphones late at night. Now, I don’t really know if this requires anything special from a receiver when it comes to headphones for gaming and movies. Do certain receiver support headphones better in regards to power and/or virtual surround? Don’t know exactly what headphone yet, was looking at Sennheiser RS 175 or something from that line (any recommendations welcome).

The only other feature I can think that I want is Airplay built into the receiver.

So, is the X1300W a good fit, or are there cheaper models that would be just as good for my needs?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You could look at the Denon AVR-S920W or S730H if you want to save a little money at Accessories 4 Less. You are at the place where you are deciding between the bottom of the premier line and top of the entry line.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Costco has the Yamaha TSR-5830 for $330 new. I love denon and A4L, but being able to buy at Costco with my Citi Card, brand new, with their awesome return policy and free extended warranty through Costco/Citi is very tempting. Would this be considerably worse for a 3.0 setup that won’t be be pushed very hard (apartment) compared to the options you listed?

Keep in mind that I will be using two towers, so it would need to be able to push those since they will be taking the place of a sub and I know that takes more power than speakers set to small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The Costco Yamahas are actually pretty good. A4L often gets recommended first because of the deals, but the Costco are a good low cost new options. The only issue I have heard recently is that some have trouble with third party subs but if you are not using one then you should be fine as long as your speakers are 6 or 8 ohms rated. not sure if those yamahas are rated for 4 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
the Yamaha should be fine. they are recommended in the forums from time to time. as long as your speakers are 6 or 8 ohm you should be ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts