AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently upgrading my home theater setup (5.1 surround) and wanted receiver suggestions based on my other chosen equipment. My budget for a receiver is $500 max.

Equipment:
- Klipsch Sub-12HG (Sub)
- Klipsch RB-41 II (Front)
- Klipsch RS-42 II (Rear Speakers)
- Klipsch RC-52 II (Center)

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Any receiver of that price will drive Klipsch easily. Anything else you want to shop for? Inputs? Outputs? Surround modes?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I could find no in-depth reviews on your speakers so no impedance curve is available, only 8 ohm nominal rating. Given the simple design with few drivers they probably are relatively easy to drive with any receiver capable of driving 6 ohms (basically all receivers).

The speakers are rated at 125 (center) watts, 50 (l/r) watts, and 75 (surround) watts. Klipsch power ratings are probably fairly accurate. To protect your l/r speakers you should probably not exceed 100wpc unless you are very careful with the volume control. Also you should ensure that all speakers are crossed over no lower than 80Hz if you want to protect them from infrasonic damage when playing audio such as the opening scene from Edge of Tomorrow.

Despite their high efficiency rating for such small speakers, you should also consider that they are not going to overwhelm you with raw sound pressure level. You might want to consider upgrading to 7.1, with larger speakers for the l/r, and moving the existing l/r to the rear or height if you want reference level performance or anything approaching it. In that case you might be safe going with up to 130 or 150wpc but do not expect big gains in output from such increase in power. It takes 10 times as much power to double the perceived loudness. More efficient speakers, or speakers with much higher power handling, are required for substantial gain in loudness and in that case they will almost certainly be much larger speakers too.

Onkyo has great features for the price, however they also replaced Audyssey room EQ with AccuEQ that seems less desirable on technical grounds when they produced their Atmos line. Onkyo also has IMO horrible HDMI track record, even acknowledging the problem officially and creating a special warranty exception for (some) failed units that were purchased from authorized reseller (warranty does not apply to private sales or unauthorized i.e. most ebay/craigslist resellers). Rumor has it they have improved the power management and are no longer baking the capacitors with excess heat but I prefer to wait and see if they have really improved the reliability by watching for better track record before jumping in again. My TX-NR929 still gets quite warm even when not producing any audio at all.

If you intend to upgrade later you might want to consider the potential downside of reliability and warranty issues when selling your used receiver, and if you intend to keep your receiver for the long term you should consider potential uncovered HDMI failures in the future when comparing pricing.

More reliable brands are more expensive for the same performance. Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha would be in your price range and maybe some higher end receivers too. It all depends on what you want for features and power.

I see many failed Onkyo and Sony receivers on Craigslist. I would tend to avoid the brands on principle until their reliability improves.

Can you share more information? Room dimensions, penetrations for stairways or doorways, listening habits, programming, room treatments? The subwoofer seems large and probably capable in both output and extension so you might benefit from larger mains. Usually people post some background information so they can get more tailored feedback from the pros on here, but for your smallish speakers it is not likely any are going to chime in unless you have a detailed technical question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I attached the floor plan of my home and a general furniture layout. I chose these speakers based reading many posts on the forums. If you have suggestions based on my floor plan i am happy to take it. My total budget was $2000 for speakers/receiver. I would like to keep the receiver for about 3-4 years. I will use my setup for movies and gaming. The sound quality for movies is more important and have about 5-6 HDMI devices to plug in. I was interested in Dolby Atmos, but i am not sure if a 5.1 system would be able to take advantage of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I attached the floor plan of my home and a general furniture layout. I chose these speakers based reading many posts on the forums. If you have suggestions based on my floor plan i am happy to take it. My total budget was $2000 for speakers/receiver. I would like to keep the receiver for about 3-4 years. I will use my setup for movies and gaming. The sound quality for movies is more important and have about 5-6 HDMI devices to plug in. I was interested in Dolby Atmos, but i am not sure if a 5.1 system would be able to take advantage of it.
you might consider this unit
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-network-a/v-receiver-w/wifi-bluetooth/1.html

its about $30 more than wanted to spend...but that price does include delivery and likely no tax unless you live in FL
Its a fully featured piece and unless you want ATMOs...then it should provide all you need
Onkyo has extended the warranties on the HDMI boards until 2018
You should also be able to double the 1 year manufacturer warranty( at no charge) with an Amex or several other type of credit cards

Warren

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
If you intend to upgrade later you might want to consider the potential downside of reliability and warranty issues when selling your used receiver, and if you intend to keep your receiver for the long term you should consider potential uncovered HDMI failures in the future when comparing pricing.

More reliable brands are more expensive for the same performance. Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha would be in your price range and maybe some higher end receivers too. It all depends on what you want for features and power.

I see many failed Onkyo and Sony receivers on Craigslist. I would tend to avoid the brands on principle until their reliability improves.

Onkyo/Integra has extended the warranty on their HDMI boards until 2018...and are offering good will repair on units from the last 4 years

hence one the reasons for my suggestion was that he go for the Onkyo 828 refurb from A4L....feature set for the price cant be beat

Warren

1 - 6 of 6 Posts