AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and to home theaters in general. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I've been trying to piece together my home theatre for my basement (man cave). I've already gotten a new television (Samsung 50 1080p Plasma) and a Sony Blu-Ray disc player. My next purchase will be a receiver. I went into choosing a receiver blind and have been trying to determine what the best choice is for my home theater in my price range. I've narrowed it down to three choices:

Marantz SR5002

Denon AVR-2308CI

Onkyo TX-SR705

I'm trying to get some advice from the members of this community on what they feel is the best choice/receiver. Some important things to note; I will be using this primarily for TV/DVD watching and not music listening. I've read a lot about how outstanding the Marantz stuff is for music, but I haven't been able to determine how it stacks up against the others in the movie realm. I've also seen a lot on how people are not fans of the Onkyo stuff, but I've come across a lot of information on how they are turning things around and producing great products again as well. I believe the Onkyo has the most features of the three, but I don't believe that necessarily makes it the best.

I will be connecting this receiver to the Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III system. Now before anyone jumps on me for not getting the top of the line speakers to go with my new home theater set up (I've seen a lot of conversations with people ripping Bose products a new one, and I'm sure those comments are just
), let me tell you that I'm getting the speakers for free through a rewards program my credit card offers. Nothing beats free at this point in time. Eventually, I will upgrade the fronts and center to some better speakers when funds allow it, and then do a speaker by speaker upgrade for the rest. I think for now though, the Bose will sound just fine.

I've been stalking around this forum for about a month now just reading posts and trying to get more information. I really like how helpful and knowledgeable the individuals on this forum are. I'm hoping I can get some advice here on which receiver will best suite my needs. I'm looking to buy in the immediate future, and rather than throwing each receiver in a hat and choosing that way, I figured I'd get some advice from the people who know what they are talking about first.

Another question, how do people here feel about refurbished equipment? In order to get these three receivers in the same price range, I'd have to buy two of them refurbished. I don't see an issue with that, considering they come with a warranty, but I was just curious to hear what all of you had to say on the subject.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm looking forward to learning more and more on this subject and hopefully being able to help others in the future as well.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaug14 /forum/post/14238762

Marantz SR5002

Denon AVR-2308CI

Onkyo TX-SR705

Another question, how do people here feel about refurbished equipment? In order to get these three receivers in the same price range, I'd have to buy two of them refurbished. I don't see an issue with that, considering they come with a warranty, but I was just curious to hear what all of you had to say on the subject.

I have had good luck with refurbs and as long as they come with a 1 year warranty I wouldn't hesitate at all. That said I would go with the 705.

My top reasons being:

1. more hdmi inputs (2 in 1 out ) really doesn't cover much today

2. Audyssey multEQ. the best there is out there, the others have the lesser version of multEQ...

3. 705 and 705 refurbs are at a great price point...

just my $0.02

·
Registered
73 Posts
I will add the Pioneer VSX-91THX in that list.

In the meantime welcome to the world of confusion. When I was looking to purchase a new receiver after about 6 years of using the Sony STR-DE945, I read countless reviews on the net. You will have a ball. I believe you should read other people's opinions. Some on this forum are little bias toward what they already own and they will lead you to buy what they have.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The cheapest receiver you can find - anything more is a waste of $$ with Bose.

The time to spend multo dollars on an AVR is after you have selected your upgraded speakers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
First and foremost, for any receiver you are considering, I'd recommend reading the entire owners thread in this forum. You will find the Good, Bad and Ugly without the marketing hype found on the AVR manufacturers page.

Then I'd google the make and model which will present you with other forums where your candidate is being discussed.

Keep in mind that by posting your front runners, you will receive responses from those who bought them and how happy they are with their decision. Not exactly an unbiased view.

Lastly, since you mention TV/DVD makes up the bulk of your listening, volume leveling may be of interest to you. Then again, maybe not.

But if it is, the replacement for the Denon 2308 is the 2309. The new xx09 models are the first to implement the new Audyssey "Dynamic Volume" capability. You can find out more at audyssey.com. Since they are the first, the jury is still out as to how effective this new function will be.

Then again, if pre outs are important, you will need to go with your Onkyo or Marantz choice. The Denon 2808 is the minimum buy in for pre outs. I'm assuming the 2809 will have them as well. I haven't seen the back of a 2309 or 2809 to know if they have pre outs or not.

Hope this helps. I'm in a similar position and currently becoming a victim of paralysis from analysis.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I went through the owner's threads and realized that I will not be purchasing an Onkyo. I thought it was just me when I listened to it in the store, but everyone here seems to think it sounds almost harsh as well. I've also eliminated the Marantz from the list. Now I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX-91THX and the Denon 2808CI. Both seem pretty awesome, and it's a tough decision. A little more than I wanted to spend (I was trying to stay around $500) but I think in the long run it will be worth it. Your thoughts on these two?

Also, one downside to both is only having two HDMI inputs. I have my TV, Cable Box, and Blu Ray to connect to it. How would I go about running these three to my receiver with only 2 HDMI inputs? Would I just not run one of them directly to the receiver, use the ouput HDMI some how, or what? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty /forum/post/14242495

The cheapest receiver you can find - anything more is a waste of $$ with Bose.

The time to spend multo dollars on an AVR is after you have selected your upgraded speakers.

It's hard to believe that Bose speakers are so bad that it's not worth having a decent receiver, especially when getting them for free. I intend to upgrade eventually, but can't afford to spend the money on speakers right now. Also, I'm not looking to have a $5000 home theatre system either. I want something good that will sound great with movies without destroying my wallet. I'm newly married with a new home, so funds on stuff like this are hard to squeeze. lol

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Regardless of the quality of your BOSE speakers, buying a decent receiver is not a waste of money. If the BOSE speakers suck, you can always get better speakers in the future.

People's comments often reflect their own resources, not yours.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaug14 /forum/post/14243501

Thanks for the information. I went through the owner's threads and realized that I will not be purchasing an Onkyo. I thought it was just me when I listened to it in the store, but everyone here seems to think it sounds almost harsh as well. I've also eliminated the Marantz from the list. Now I'm looking at the Pioneer VSX-91THX and the Denon 2808CI. Both seem pretty awesome, and it's a tough decision. A little more than I wanted to spend (I was trying to stay around $500) but I think in the long run it will be worth it. Your thoughts on these two?

Also, one downside to both is only having two HDMI inputs. I have my TV, Cable Box, and Blu Ray to connect to it. How would I go about running these three to my receiver with only 2 HDMI inputs? Would I just not run one of them directly to the receiver, use the ouput HDMI some how, or what? Thanks!

what you probably want to do is to have you Blu Ray and Cable Box HDMI outputs going to both HDMI inputs of either receiver you will purchase and have the receiver's HDMI output going to the tv HDMI input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaug14 /forum/post/14243501

Okay, this sucks. Everytime I think I've narrowed it down or made up my mind, I read something that changes it.

I'm really at a rock in a hard place between:

Onkyo 805

Denon 2308ci

Pioneer VSX-91THX

The Onkyo has a ton more features and seems to be the best buy, but I've read so many bad things about the customer service, audio delay, lip sync problems, etc. that I'm hesitant. The Pioneer seems pretty awesome too and very comparable to the Denon in terms of quality, but doesn't seem to have all the same bells and whistles.

Anyway, any suggestions from owners or whoever would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I think I might've seen your thread at audioholics. W/o knowing much about the other choices, I say go with the 805 IF you needed a beefy amp. Somehow I doubt that the Bose needs that, although dependent on other factors too. Just get whatever makes you feel comfortable. Denon enjoys a great reputation, often at a greater cost, and Pio has plenty of fans. I've heard excellent consumer reviews on recent Pios. whateva floats yer boat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can you trade or return the bose setup at a retail store without a receipt? Might be worth trying since that will buy you more in the long run..

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Pioneer VSX-91THX sounds as good as pioneer Elite 95TXH but has less power and different video section.

I have compared it with Onkyo 805 in my room and liked it a lot.

Just sold my 805 and buying the 94TXH but would have been happy with 91 as well.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaug14 /forum/post/14245357

Okay, this sucks. Everytime I think I've narrowed it down or made up my mind, I read something that changes it.

I'm really at a rock in a hard place between:

Onkyo 805

Denon 2308ci

Pioneer VSX-91THX

The Onkyo has a ton more features and seems to be the best buy, but I've read so many bad things about the customer service, audio delay, lip sync problems, etc. that I'm hesitant. The Pioneer seems pretty awesome too and very comparable to the Denon in terms of quality, but doesn't seem to have all the same bells and whistles.

Anyway, any suggestions from owners or whoever would be very helpful.

Well if your gonna consider the 805 you might want to take a look at Denon's 3808. We have it and we love it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am long time reader but my 1st post in here.... I am on the same boat as you are. I am considering Denon 2308 vs Marantz 5002.

Multi Zone operation is important since this will be running speakers through out the house as well.

I am looking for a decent AVR that will run my 5.1 (considering Energy take classic 5.1) system and control the sound through out the rest of the house.

The more I read, the more confused I get..... But I think I am just going to get the Denon and deal with setting it up since that seems to be its only downfall besides the 2 HDMI inputs....

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
All receivers have their good and bad. I just bought an Onkyo 805 refurb for $484 shipped to my door. For that price I couldn't get anything even close to the performance. Does it get hot, sure. Nothing like I thought though (and I use it for all sound with my HDTV). I don't have the Lip Synch issue (depends on your gear) and most of the other horror stories scared me too. I chose the 805 because the power is insane, 3 HDMI inputs, 2 zone capable, and it came with a one year warranty.

Before I bought the 805 I was looking at the Pioneer 1018, Onkyo 606 or 705, and Yamaha 663. I needed 3 HDMI inputs. This eliminated all Denons, Marantz, and other big name lines from the start. Before the 805 fell in my lap, I was leaning heavily towards the Pioneer. I had a Pioneer a few years ago and loved it. I also really like Onkyo as I have had a TX-SR600 for a few years now. I ruled the Yamaha out after demoing it and not liking the sound (and a few problems I read here).

I highly suggest creating a list of must have features. 3 HDMI inputs in my range greatly reduced the amount of possible AVRs. That made the choice much simpler. Then look for deals. I almost got a Pioneer elite 92 for $688 open box from Tweeter. The 805 popped up the next day and I jumped all over it. Two receivers that started double my price range fell into it on sales. I ended up with a Receiver that destroys what I was comparing and at a price cheaper than i could have paid for those choices.

Good luck and hopefully this post helps.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/14247935

I ended up with a Receiver that destroys what I was comparing and at a price cheaper than i could have paid for those choices.

My comparison of Elite 91 and 805 in my room with my NHT speakers as well as B&W 805S series was very telling that 805 sounded not as well. That was the primery reason I sold it. 805 is a good AVR but it is not close to elite even the least 91 other than power.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM /forum/post/14249754

My comparison of Elite 91 and 805 in my room with my NHT speakers as well as B&W 805S series was very telling that 805 sounded not as well. That was the primery reason I sold it. 805 is a good AVR but it is not close to elite even the least 91 other than power.

In your room, with your system and your ears. I found the opposite to be true in mine, doesn't make either one of our opinions right or wrong but one size does not fit all for all people and situations.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB /forum/post/14246947

Well if your gonna consider the 805 you might want to take a look at Denon's 3808. We have it and we love it!

Completely different price points. The 3808 goes for double the price of the 2308 / 805. Even the Onkyo 875 can be found cheaper than the 3808, and the 905 can be found for around the same price.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts