AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that my front speakers are both 10.5 ft. away, the center is 10 ft. away, the surrounds are 3 feet away (behind the couch, facing upwards on cinder blocks) and the sub is 11 ft. away, what would be good delays to set on my receiver? Or, should I not use any at all, given the relatively short distances?

I've tried playing with these settings to try and tweak them, but I don't think I have the ear to notice such minute changes.. My receiver has configurable delay settings of -4 to +6 ms.

Thanks,

Tarek

·
Registered
517 Posts
Usually, receivers I've seen do this calculation for you - you enter the distance to the speaker!

In any event, you can do it yourself, using a calculator. Under normal cicrcustances, sound travels 331.44 meters per second.

One meter is 39.37 inches. Thus, sound travels 1087.4 feet per second.

To keep it relatively simple, you can assume sound travels at 1000 feet per second.

This works out to be roughly 1 foot per millisecond - conveniently!

So, in your case, if you set your farthest speaker to -4ms (ie, that speaker will fire 4 ms BEFORE a zero delay), then that gives you a "range" of 10 ms to play with (up to +6), which means your receiver can account for 10 feet of difference in speaker distances.

If your sub is at -4, your front is -3.5 (round to -3?) center is -3, and your rear speakers are 8 feet closer than the sub, which works out to be +4ms delay.

I may have my + and - messed up, depending on what your receiver means by plus and minus :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.