AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an older Denon AVR-2807 and this receiver has really satisfied me. However, I would like to know how I could possibly start to take advantage of some of the new codecs out there and also some of the new video features such as 3D. I was wondering if I would be able to buy a cheaper model receiver from Denon (200-300 range) and use the pre-amp out to the pre-amp ins on my 2807 so I would be able to have the new codecs, and then also run all my video through the cheaper model receiver. Would this be possible? I am a noob when it comes to the more complicated things. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only issue is I would hate to shell out more money for a whole new AVR Box. I already bought a $1200 box a couple years ago, and these things are meant to last ages right? So I just hate the fact that it looks like I would have to shell out another grand or more just to get new codecs and 3D because the amp and everything else works fine and there is nothing wrong with the box either.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Other than a few more legacy inputs .. the 2807 is dated and doesn't really bring much to the table if you want to upgrade to 3D. Denon no longer includes preouts on the lower level models. The lowest level Denon AVR with preouts is the 3311CI (last year) or 3312CI. If you want to keep the 2807, your best option is likely to get a new HDMI 1.4 BDP that has dual HDMI outputs, sending 3D video to the TV and HD audio codecs converted to multi channel PCM by the BDP to the 2807. It doesn't matter whether the BDP or the AVR decodes the HD audio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, I am going to have to look into that then. I really hate how everything changes so quickly. As soon as you get a new receiver, next year it is outdated. I think it is impossible to keep up with new technology if you want my opinion.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Sure. It's not like 10 years ago where changes were slow. The 2807 is now 5 years old and HDMI has made several spec changes since then. Addtionally Audyssey has improved by adding Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol. HDMI 1.5 or HDMI's replacement will likely be out soon which will require more changes in equipment. It is what it is ... but like I said ... a $200 HDMI 1.4 dual HDMI BDP will satisfy your requirement for both 3D and HD audio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.