AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which manufactures have a "warmer" sound quality to them? I have an older Yamaha htr-5240 and would like to upgrade. It seems a little bright for my tastes. Any brands I should start my search with? Would like to stay in the $500 range. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybein08 /forum/post/14216156

Which manufactures have a "warmer" sound quality to them? I have an older Yamaha htr-5240 and would like to upgrade. It seems a little bright for my tastes. Any brands I should start my search with? Would like to stay in the $500 range. Thanks.

Shouldn't You look for "neutral" instead

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should look for neutral. I would like something warmer than my Yamaha though. Maybe the newer Yamahas are much better than what I have?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Speakers are going to have much more of an effect in the sound of a system over the difference in receivers but if you're looking for a brand Harman Kardon is commonly referred to as having a warm sound.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybein08 /forum/post/14216335

I guess I should look for neutral. I would like something warmer than my Yamaha though. Maybe the newer Yamahas are much better than what I have?

Fiddle with the eq and you can make it sound as warm as you want.

Honestly, I can't tell much difference in sound between comparably priced AVR's. Some may have more power than others, but they all sound pretty similar to me when used in direct/pure modes that disable any DSP.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
It's not your receiver that's bright. It's your speakers and/or your room. Try a little more sound absorption. Also, as someone said, turn down the treble a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard good things about the HK sound quality. Thanks for the replies. I will be using Polk rti6's for the front and fxi3's for the rear. They are a little bright to begin with.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Poineer's tend to sound natural. Also Marantz is a sweet sounding AR.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/14216748

It's not your receiver that's bright. It's your speakers and/or your room.

+1

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My Yamaha is not just warm. It's HOT. You could burn your hand if you left it touching the receiver long enough.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/14216748

It's not your receiver that's bright. It's your speakers and/or your room. Try a little more sound absorption. Also, as someone said, turn down the treble a bit.

I have the Polk RTi 8s. The Polk RTi line is without a doubt bright!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, its been determined that my speakers are bright. I've had Polks for years and can't seem to break away, so unfortunately this set isn't going to change anytime soon. I have a new Samsung 52A750 LCD and want to get a new HDMI compatible receiver to go with it. ($500-700 range) Jakeman says to try the Harmon Kardon line, Caspian says try Pioneer and Marantz, and I will. Thank you to both. Anyone suggest Onkyo? The 705 seems to be very popular in this price point. Does anyone have a Harmon Kardon AVR to comment about as far as brightness or should I say neutralness, if thats even a word?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts